Egg Kothu Chapathi is one of my recent tries.I wanted to try the hotel style kothu parotta recipe…it is one in my totry list since long. I have tried kothu parotta few times without salna, it tasted good but it did not match the hotel taste so this time I prepared a easy salna to add it to kothu chapathi. I patted my back yes I nailed the recipe…it came almost similar to the hotel taste I can say 85 %, hubby gave a thumbs up to it. As I am trying to avoid maida parotta I made it with whole wheat chapathi’s but I thought you can use lachha paratha for this recipe , which will be more apt.
I am still waiting for my brother to taste test and give me his feedback as he is a great fan of kothu parotta.Last 2 times he gave only a flying visit so I couldn’t make this for him, so am waiting for his next visit.
Kothu Chapathi Recipe
Recipe Category: Snack / Dinner | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Chapathi – 3
Egg – 1
Big Onion – 1 finely chopped
Capsicum – 2 tbsp finely chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 1 tbsp
Oil – just to grease
For the Gravy:
Tomato – 1 medium sized chopped roughly
Coconut – 2 tbsp
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Poppy Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Kalpasi – 1/4 tsp
Poppy Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Kalpasi (Sont Flower) – a very tiny pinch
Curry Leaves – a small sprig
Fennel Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Star Anise – 1 small
Clove – 1
Cardamom – 1
- Take your left over chapathis.Chop them into small pieces or just tear them into tiny pieces.Set aside.In a kadai add oil and saute tomatoes till it turns mushy and raw smell leaves.
- Now add coconut give a quick saute and switch off.Cool down and grind it along with fennel seeds and poppy seeds along with little water to a fine paste.
- Add little oil to a pan, add the masala paste along with garam masala and saute for 2mins.Then add little water say 1/4 cup and allow the gravy to boil.
- When oil starts to seperate add kalpasi boil for 2mins and switch off and set aside.Now heat oil in a pan add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.
- Add onion along with ginger garlic paste and saute till onions become transparent.Then add capsicum and saute fora minute then crack open and add a egg.
- Just mix once and add the chapathi pieces and cook well.Add pepper powder.
- Now add the salna and mix well.Just use the edge of a tumbler to mince it well.Finally add chopped coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve hot / warm.
- You can use the salna as sidedish for chapathi / parotta etc.Since I made it for adding to kothu chapathi I didn’t spice it up more, just made a simple salna.
- You can even add tomatoes along with onion.
- Kalpasi is must as it lends a great flavour which gives it the apt hotel style.
- Use a sharp edge laddle to mince the chapathi.
- Use leftover chapathi.If you are using fresh chapathi let it to cool down then proceed.
- Adding capsicum is purely optional, I just added it for extra crunch.For vegetarians, you can add any veggies of your choice along with capsicum.
- Instead of chapathi you can even use laccha paratha.
- You can even use ready made parotta, cook it and then use it.
- I reserved about 2 tbsp of the gravy and added the rest.If purely depends on your taste and preference.