I have made this gravy quite a few times now after that and we love the gravy with soft piping hot phulkas.The recipe is a modified version of my aloo gobi that I posted a while back. Quick lunch ready with Phulka,Aloo Mutter Masala, Masala Chaas and Jamuns for dessert 🙂
So now without any delays let us get on to learn how to make aloo matar gravy….Shall we?!
Aloo Matar Masala Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Potato – 2 medium sized
Green Peas – 1/3 cup tightly packed
Big Onion – 3 tbsp finely chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp finely chopped
Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 2 pinches
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Tomato Sauce – 1 tsp
Fresh Cream – 1 tbsp(optional)
Coriander leaves – just for garnish
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Jeera – 3/4 tsp
To grind to a paste:
Big Onion – 1 roughly chopped
Tomatoes – 2 roughly chopped
- Wash potatoes, peel off the skin of potatoes and chop them into bite sized cubes,Set aside.Grind the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ to a fine paste,Set aside.
- In a pan heat oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ allow it to crackle,then add ginger garlic paste give a quick saute.Then add tomato puree nad saute for few mins till raw smell leaves.Add required salt.
- Then add tumeric powder,garam masala powder and red chilli powders, give a quick mix, let it cook for 2-3mins until it becomes thick.Then add potato and peas.
- Mix well till the masala coats well with the veggies.Saute for 2-3mins.Then add 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles in low flame.Once pressure releases open and let it boil.Adjust salt and spice level at this stage.
- Then add tomato sauce, fresh cream and bring to a boil.Once it reaches gravy consistency and oil separates switch off and garnish with coriander leaves and sprinkle a pinch of garam masala powder.
Serve hot with roti / rice or any pulao of your choice.
- Cooking the veggie along with the gravy takes a little more time but adds more flavour to the veggie and gravy too.You can do this in pan too.
- I added cream just for making the gravy creamy, you can even skip it.
- Adding tomato sauce gives a nice tanginess to the gravy.
- I used fresh green peas…you can use frozen or even try with dried variety.But soak dry peas overnight , then add it.