I have updated the recipe and the pics with stepwise as few readers had requested for it long back.One fine lazy afternoon, googled to find out other paneer recipes and this kadai paneer caught my eye, and set out to try it. It turned out to be a hit at home. Paneer cooked in tomato coriander sauce simmed in a kadai – do u need any other tempting description?! 🙂
Kadai Paneer Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Paneer – 1 cup cubed
Capsicum – 1 cubed (I used half green and half red)
Tomatoes – 2 tbsp cubed
Onion – 1 chopped finely
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Dhania(Coriander) powder – 1/2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Green chillies – 1 chopped
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp chopped
Salt – to taste
Tomatoes – 2
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Red Chillies – 2
- Dry roast coriander seeds and red chillies seperately and grind it with tomato to a fine paste.Dry roasted coriander seeds and red chillies can be coarsely powdered seperately and added too. But I find it easy to combine with tomatoes and grind, either way no big difference in taste.
- Heat half a tsp of oil, add cubed paneer and toast it until it turns golden brown. Transfer the toasted paneer to hot water for 5mins, drain and keep aside(this is to retain the softness of the paneer). Heat remaining oil in a pan, add green chillies and ginger garlic paste saute for a minute.
- Then add onions, tomato cubes and saute till raw smell leaves and onions turn slightly browned. Then add the tomato puree(with coriander seeds and red chillies grinded). Add chilli powder, garam masala powder and dhania powder, give a quick stir.Add required salt.
- Add kasoori methi ,Next add the capsicum and saute till its cooked but retain its crunchiness dont let it become very soft. Add 1/4 cup water and allow it to boil and thicken.
- Sprinkle little water if its too dry.Add the paneer cubes mix well. Add chopped coriander leaves, gives quick stir and switch off.
- This is semidry kadai paneer.It is thick but not dry its saucy that it can pair with chapathi or even with rice.
- Kadai paneer can be made gravy kind too by adding 2 more tomatoes and switching off when the gravy consistency is reached.
- Dont skip the kasoori methi as it gives a nice and unique flavour to the gravy.