Gobi Manchurian(Cauliflower Manchurian) is one of the very few indo chinese dishes that I luv to eat in restaurants! I have given the gravy version here but check my notes section for making gobi manchurian dry version.
1 Medium Cauliflower-cut into florets
For the batter :
For the manchurian:
- 3 tbsp Cornflour
- 2.5 tbsp Maida
- 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp of Oil
- 1.5 tbsp of garlic sliced thin
- 1 tsp spring onion white part
- 1 tbsp spring onion green part
- 1 Big Onion - cut into small pieces
- 1/8 tsp Soya sauce
- 3 tbsp Tomato sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- Cornflour - 2 tsp mixed with 3 tbsp water (optional I didnt use)
1.Mix all the above ingredients listed under 'for the batter' with little water to form a thick paste.Boil water and add cauliflower florets, salt and turmeric powder. Cook only till half boiled, drain water and keep aside.
2. Marinate the boiled cauliflower florets in the batter, mix well and leave it marinated for 15 mins.Then deep fry them till golden brown or until crispy. [I usually toast them in dosa tawa or grill them in oven]
3.Heat oil and add sliced garlic,spring onion white part saute for 2 mins then add onion and saute till slightly browned.
4.Now add the green chilli sauce, soya sauce mix well in high flame for a minute.
5.Simmer,add tomato sauce and little water say 1/4 cup water, add cornflour water mixture of you are adding then allow it boil and come to a sauce consistency.Now add toasted/grilled gobis. Mix well again for 3-4 minutes for the flavours to get blended well with the gobis. The gobi pieces should be a little crisp and not soggy at this stage.Finally add pepper powder and garnish with spring onion green part and switch off.Garnish with spring onions while serving and Serve hot! Yummy saucy gobi manchurian is ready.
- To make a dry version just reduce the tomato sauce so that the gobis are just coated with the sauce.
- You can even deep fry the gobis for more crispy version. Also you can add 1/2 cubed capsicum after frying onions.
- Adding cornflour water mixture is purely optional - this is just to make the sauce thick.
- Serve immediately before it becomes soggy.
- Make sure not to saute the veggies for a long time in the sauce as the veggies need to be crisp.
- Dont add more soya sauce than the mentioned amount else it will change the taste and make the manchurian more darker in color.