Karupatti Coffee(கருப்பட்டி வெல்லம் / Panai Vellam) is black coffee without milk made with palm jaggery.If you prefer you can make this coffee with milk but traditionally it is made like this so wanted to post it the same way.Palm Jaggery is is natural and unrefined so sure a healthy alternate to sugar coffee.This coffee is very refreshing.
Few weeks back, my neighbor gave a pack of fresh karupatti which she got from her hometown, I wanted to try recipes with it so this is my first easy recipe with karupatti. As the one I got is fresh she insisted to break the whole karupatti into pieces and refrigerate it.But if you buy the packed ones which is a vailable at many supermarkets, then you can refrigerate it as whole itself.
Karupatti Coffee Recipe
Recipe Category: Drinks | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Water – 2 cups
Palm Jaggery – 1/4 cup
Instant Coffee powder – 1 tsp (OR) Coffee Decotion – 2 tsp
- Boil water till it bubbles up, add palm jaggery and let it boil for 3mins.
- Then add instant coffee powder OR coffee decotion and let it boil.
- Let it boil for a good 5-7mins.Strain and serve hot.
Serve hot with breakfast or with teatime snacks.
- Adjust palm jaggery according to the sweetness you like but 1/4 cup for 2 cups of water is just right not too sweet.
- You can add 1/4 tsp ginger chopped while boiling water.
- If you prefer, you can add 1 cup milk and 1 cup water but traditionally karupaati coffee is made without milk.