Homemade Chilli Flakes – Oh I never thought of making this as post, I always use the chilliflakes sachet that comes with store bought pizzas.I always have them stored so chilli flakes was always there at home.But since we have almost stopped buying pizza from outside, I ran out of chilli flakes last week which I wanted desperately for my pizza so a quick google search and here I am with this post.
First I tried with 10 red chillies and I messed it up which became red chilli powder so ended up using it as spice powder.But having learnt from the mistake I made, this time I was confident and tried it with a bigger batch and yayy I got perfect chilli flakes and I have been using it in many dishes now.Will post a easy pizza recipe next week 🙂
Homemade Chilli Flakes Recipe
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Dry Red Chilli
- Dry roast red chillies till it turns slightly browned.When you try to break it, it should break and not bend thats the correct stage so till then keep roasting in low flame.Also cool down and then try to break and see only then it will break easily.
- Now break each roasted red chilli into 2-3 pieces and transfer to mixer jar.I am assuming that your mixer jar is completely dry.
- Pulse it 3-4 times, don’t over do.I did around 10-12 chillies at a time.Do this in batches to get a coarse mixture.Spread it in a plate, cool down completely then store it.
Serve with pizza.
- Don’t use the grind option in mixie, use the pulse option that too just for 3-4 times then stop check and then proceed.If you keep on pulsing then the red chillies will get powdered.
- Breaking the red chillies helps in getting coarse flakes.
- Make sure your mixer jar is dry and clean.
- Roasting is very important so keep roasting till its crisp and tends to break.Only after cooling down a but, the red chillies will become breakable, so don’t underestimate and overroast it.
- You can store this for 6months in refrigerator and use it whenever needed.