I already posted this homemade butter along with aval urundai but since the post is very lengthy I am making this as a separate post.
Homemade Butter Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: How to | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Curd and Milk Malai (Paal , Thayir Aadai) collected – 2 cups
Water – 1 cup
NOTE : You can use malai from both curd and milk
- Boil milk let it simmer for 5mins(do this if your milk is a watery).After boiling milk, leave it aside for sometime when it cools down,leave it in the fridge for 10 mins then take the thick layer of malai and collect them and store it a container. Collect it daily for about 15 days or till your container is full , keep refrigerated. But take the malai formed on top.
NOTE: The collected malai/cream can be used for your gravies. I have been using this cream for all my gravies, sure better than the store bought ones. As its sour use it only for savory dishes which calls for cream.If you are planning to make your butter tomorrow then keep the malai collected container outside overnight.
- When your container is full or when you are prepared to make the butter, transfer the collected malai in a wide bottomed container and add water to it.
- Beat it well in circular motion with a mathu till frothy.If you dont have the mathu then you can use mixie and use the whip option….but I prefer mathu as it avoids the work of cleaning the messy buttery mixie after the process 🙂
- The first stage is when the froth forms a top layer . Continue beating it for 10-12 mins(the timing depends).The second stage is when the froth slightly starts collecting in one area. You can see it in the below pictures – It may take around 10-15 minutes. Once the froth completely turns to a collective buttery mass stop beating. The buttermilk reserved at the bottom can be served with salt and hing, tastes best!Collect the butter and wash it 2 times in water until water is clear. Allow the butter to float in water for 5mins. Drain water completely then store.Your homemade butter is ready for use 🙂 Collect it in a clean container and refrigerate it.
Video demonstrating butter churning:
- After milk is boiled, leaving the milk in fridge for sometime yields thick malai.Malai depends on the milk variety.
- Allow the butter to dry completely then you make ghee.
- The butter keeps well for about a month or even more when refrigerated. Use a clean spoon everytime.