Chettinad Vegetable Biryani Recipe – Ingredients
Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves : 2
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Mixed Vegetables* – 1 cup
Small Onion – around 12
Tomato – 2 small sized chopped roughly
Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tsp
Mint Leaves – 1/4 cup loosely packed
Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp + 2 tsp for garnish
Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1.5 tsp
Curd – 2 tbsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Ghee – 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp
Cashews – 8
Water – 2 cups
Salt – to taste
To roast and grind:
Cardamom – 1
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Pepper Corns – 1 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
Star Anise – 3 petals
Marathi Mokku – 1/2
Bayleaf – 1
Green Chilli – 1 slitted
Kalpasi – 1/4 tsp
Mixed Veggies* – I used cauliflower,peas,carrot,potato
- Take the spices and dry roast it till slightly browned.Cool down and grind it to a semi fine powder.Set aside.
- While you start making the gravy, soak rice for 30mins atleast.Get ready with your veggies,onion and tomato.In a pressure cooker, heat oil+ghee add kalpasi,bayleaf and green chilli.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and saute for 2mins.Then add onion , tomato and saute till tomatoes turn mushy.Then add coriander and mint leaves, saute till it shrinks.
- Then add the veggies and mix well.Add red chilli powder,coriander powder and the spice powder that we made.Saute for few mins.Add required salt.
- Then add curd, mix well, it will look like a thick gravy.Drain water from rice and add it.
- Give a quick mix.Add 2 cups and water and pressure cook for 4 whistles in medium flame.
- Once pressure releases, take off the weight and place the cooker in a dosa tawa for 3-5mins in low flame and switch off – This step is purely optional but gives a nice fluffy rice.Then open and fluff it up.
- Heat ghee in a tadka pan, fry cashews till golden.Add it along with chopped coriander leaves and remaining ghee.Mix well.
Serve hot with onion raita!
- Keeping in dum removes excess moisture and gives nice fluffy rice.Sometimes I do this when I feel the rice is sticky.But this is purely optional, I have given so that it will be useful when there is excess water.
- You can make ginger garlic paste, the spice powder mix before hand and store it.
- Soaking rice gives soft fluffy rice.
- I used the veggies I had in hand, you can use veggies like beans,baby corn etc
- Kalpasi is a very important spice in chettinad cuisine so dont skip it.