I have already posted plain ammini kozhukattai so this year wanted to a try a spicy ammini kozhukattai recipe.It turned out to be very spicy and flavourful.I always love any sweet kozhukattai and hubby is just opposite so it was a treat for him when I made these.These were very soft with a spicy flavourful masala coated, easy to make for Ganesh Chaturthi too.
Spicy Ammini Kozhukattai Recipe
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Rice Flour(Idiyappam Flour) – 1 cup
Water – as needed
Oil – to grease
Coconut – 1 tbsp grated
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
To roast and grind:
Chana Dal – 1 tbsp
Whole Urad Dal – 2 tsp
Red Chillies – 3
Spicy ammini kozhukattai recipe quick video
- Dry roast the dals along with red chillies till golden brown.Cool down and grind it a semi fine powder.Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add rice flour, salt and mix well.Boil water and add it little by little.
- Mix with a laddle, once it forms together and is a bit warm to handle then use your hands to knead it a soft dough.Do all this off the stove.Now roll small balls using your palms.Slightly grese your hands with oil if it sticks.
- Make small balls with the entire dough and carefully place them in a steamer.You can use idli steamer too.Steam it for atleast 8-10mins.Do not oversteam, else the kozhukattais will become hard.
- In a pan heat oil – add mustard seeds,jeera and curry leaves let it splutter then add the spice powder along with steamed kozhukattais.
- Give a quick toss, add coconut and mix well.Switch off .
Serve hot / warm!
- Make sure to steam it for the exact timing else the kozhukattais will become hard.When thekozhukattais turns shiny and nonsticky, you can check the doneness.
- Make small small balls.
- I used store bought rice flour, brand name is Nirapara.