Prawn Curry is a wonderful masala packed gravy made by cooking prawns with spices, coconut, tomatoes and onions. Prawn Curry is an excellent choice of sea food for lunch meal and a good accompaniment with roti, paratha, idli and dosa. Prawn Gravy recipe is explained in this post with step by step pictures.
Prawns Curry / Prawn Gravy is one the regular dish we make whenever we get prawns. But we dont get prawns often so this time I made sure to click and post it. I realised I can cook nonveg if someone cleans and gives me 🙂 This time I made the prawns curry getting the instructions from Amma.
I havent spoken more about sharmi clicks here after announcing that I am starting a P365 blog. I should admit it is hectic and on the other side all the more enjoyable than I thought. Having the camera sticking to me all the time like a baby kangaroo sometimes a burden too with the bulky camera bag hanging on one side and holding mittu on the other side…eyes wandering for framing a pic :)Today marks the 100th day…..long way more to go!
If you have any more questions about this prawn gravy recipe do mail me at [email protected] In addition, follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest ,Youtube and Twitter .
Tried this prawn gravy recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
Prawn Gravy | Prawn Curry
- 1 cup prawn
- 1/5 cup small onion
- 6 pearls garlic
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 nos cloves
- 1 bayleaf
- few curry leaves
To grind to a paste:
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Clean prawns(by removing the center nerve part), wash it then mix turmeric powder, salt and red chilli powder and set aside.
- Grind coconut along with fennel with little water to a fine paste, Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai - add the items under 'to temper' then add onions and garlic fry until it turns slightly brown.
- Then add ginger garlic paste, fry for a minute. Then add tomato puree along with spice powders and cook till raw smell leaves. Then add marinated prawns.
- Saute until prawns starts shrinking say 3mins. Prawn lets out water so check that and then add 1/4 water and keep closed.
- Cook until prawns is soft and cooked fully. Once the prawns turn soft, add required salt.
- Now add the coconut paste and allow it to boil and get cooked until oil separates and the curry becomes saucy.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and switch it off.
- Serve Prawn Gravy hot with rice or rotis as per your choice!
- The curry consistency is purely our preference - if you want more gravy kind switch it off accordingly.
- Clean prawns and wash it thoroughly before you cook.
- This curry goes well with rotis or even rice.
How to make Prawn Curry
- Clean prawns(by removing the center nerve part), wash it then mix turmeric powder,salt and red chilli powder and set aside. Grind coconut along with fennel with little water to a fine paste, Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai – add the items under ‘to temper’ then add onions and garlic fry until it turns slightly brown.Then add ginger garlic paste, fry for a minute.Then add tomato puree along with spice powders and cook till raw smell leaves. Then add marinated prawns.
- Saute until prawns starts shrinking say 3mins. Prawn lets out water so check that and then add 1/4 water and keep closed. Cook until prawns is soft and cooked fully.Once the prawns turn soft, add required salt.
- Now add the coconut paste and allow it to boil and get cooked until oil separates and the curry becomes saucy. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and switch it off.
Serve hot with rice or rotis as per your choice!
- The curry consistency is purely our preference – if you want more gravy kind switch it off accordingly.
- Clean prawns and wash it thoroughly before you cook
- This curry goes well with rotis or even rice.
yummy prawn curry..love it
I make in little diff way and ya me too like to cook nonveg if some one cleans n give to me 🙂
luv this curry,we make it often..Rasam sadam and this curry is addictive 🙂
nice prawn curry.. so tempting
Yummy curry.. I love this kind of preparation with coconut.
your all prawn curry pics reminded me the way my mom would make prawn curry. sometimes i would help her in cleaning the prawns.
I too make in a much similar way but never added fennel…might have given an aromatic flavour to the recipe…love to try this…looks yum….great going in p365…
Spicy and tempting prawn curry.
My Monthly Event – Spotlight : "Lunchbox Ideas".
An Open Book
enaku shrimps na oru weakness 😉 semaya tempted now 😉 i have two recipes in my draft 🙂 and have a pack of shrimp in the freezer( it will be finished off today) 😉
Nice click Sharmi. Have been following your P365 and the clicks have been amazing and well thought.
Great recipe and stunning pics.
Yummy prawns dear..tempting
Would love to have this prawn curry with some rice..
I love the dry prawn curry versus the gravy. Looks delicious!
flavourful and delicious prawn curry 🙂
Looks a lot different from what I make. A must try recipe 🙂
Looks wonderful, like all the flavours that are going in…
Yum! Yum! Yum!
perfect nd delicious…
Curry looksyum,..it's been so lo.ng since I had prawns curry…
Looks very delicious!!! Sea food is our fav and this is for sure very tempting!!
My favorite dish of all times is prawn curry. I do it the same way except for the tempering part with bay leaves sharmi. Nice pics.
May i use chopped tomato instead of tomato puree. Which is best? Suggest me pls. Thanks Sharmi akka.
@Hema : Yes yes you can very well add chopped tomatoes, saute till raw smell leaves and it shrinks…please go ahead 🙂
Nice recipe.I will try it today only.thanks for this tempting recipe.
tried it for first time……..was really awesome…everybody in family liked it.
I lik dis curry, its realy delicious……
sharmi…………i just love all ur recipes.n guess wat i have completely impressed my hubby with all ur dishes.thank u sharmi.my hubby is my fan n i'm ur fan.
I tried this yesterday. It was OMG tasty 😀 I felt so proud of myself 😀
Its simply awesome site for all kind of food. Im trying it one by one as you showed in the pictures. it is really tooooooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooooood. 🙂
Bindurekha.. a line of dots, a verse
We made this last Sunday and it was a hit and again today again there is demand from the family to make it again! Thanks so much!
i cooked tonight, masha allah very nice.
Sharmi i did prawn gravy today..itsvery nice..am doin all gravies from ur blog..all came out very well..am ur big fan…..thank u sharmi……
It came out gud..thanks for sharing 🙂
Sis is it ok if never add coconut milk or any other replacement?
I have not used coconut milk here, just used fresh coconut.If you don't have coconut then you can skip it but the gravy will be little runny
Hi i tried this recipe with the exact amount and time but I think cooking this long overcooked the prawn. Made prawn rubbery. The gravey was great though. Thank you.
I will definitely try this recipe this weekend.Can I replace fresh coconut with dry shredded coconut flakes..Please advise.Thanks!
Yummy prawn gravy akka. Thanks for sharing.