The stuffing is simple and flavourful that it can get over in a jiffy by itself 🙂 I always make the stuffing ready after that making kozhukattai outer dough is just a breeze.Savoury modaks are ready to be served. Tastes best when served hot or warm. We make both sweet and savoury kozhukattai and I luv both 🙂
Ulundu Kozhukattai Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Urad dal(ulutham paruppu) – 1/2 cup
Green chillies – 2 to 3
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Coconut – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Hing (Perungayam ) – a pinch
Curry leaves – few
Turmeric powder – a pinch
For the outer covering
Rice flour(Idiyappam flour) – 3/4 cup
Salt – to taste
Water – as required to form a dough
- Soak urad dhal for an hour. Drain water and grind it with green chillies very coarsely. Just run the mixer once or twice to make it coarse. Do not make it pastey. Set aside.
- Steam the urad dal mixture for 7-10mins.Cool down and crumble it with ur fingers,set aside.Now heat oil, add mustard seeds let it crackle then add curry leaves,turmeric powder and hing.
- Simultaneously boil water till it starts bubbling vigorously.Add salt and boiling water to rice flour little by little and mix it with the help of a laddle. Mix it till it gathers to a smooth dough. Allow it to cool for 2-3 mins then knead once with your hands to make a smooth dough but it will be slightly sticky.Keep aside.
- Next add the coarsely grinded urad dhal green chilli mixture and saute until it becomes dry and raw smell completely leaves, it may take 7-10mins. Add required salt. Then add coconut mix well and switch off. Now your inner stuffing is ready.Grease ur hands with oil make small lemon sized balls.
- Then flatten it slightly thin (or make it as cup) then add a tsp of ulunthu stuffing / filling and seal it as shown below.Repeat this until the entire dough finishes. This is the easiest method I am following till date 🙂
- Press the ends and seal it completely and make the design by pressing ur thumb. You can also make designs with fork or use readymade shapes.Steam the kozhukattais for about 10-12mins or until the outer cover turns shiny which shows the kozhukattais are done.
The stuffing can be anything sweet too like coconut channa dhal stuffing or sesame jaggery, it tastes good too.
- There are few other ways to make savoury kozhukattai too even without filling. Just make the kozhukattai balls, steam it then temper it with the above said items which is called ammini kozhukattai.
- Be very careful to run the mixie just once or twise else the urad dhal will get pastey.
- You can either use homemade rice flour or riceflour that we get in shops, the fine variety thay call it as idiyappam flour.