I made this sundal and clicked specifically to post it for Ayutha Pooja and totally forgot it, and that justifies the last minute posting for tomorrows Ayutha Poojai 🙂 You can even try this for navaratri sundal.
Chana Masala Sundal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
White Chana- 1 cup
Coconut – 3 tbsp
Salt – to taste
To roast and grind:
Chana Dal – 1 tbsp
Moong Dal – 1 tsp
Pepper corns – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli – 1
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2.5 tsp
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
Red Chillies – 2 small
Hing – a tiny pinch
- Soak chana overnight or atleast for 8 hrs.Drain water and pressure cook with water just enough to immerse the chana.Pressure cook for 5-6 whistles or until soft, Set aside.In a pan dry roast the ingredients listed under ‘to roast and grind until golden brown.Once the dals turns golden brown add coriander powder and switch off.
- Cool down, transfer to mixer and powder it finely.Set aside.In a pan heat oil- add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.
- Then add cooked chana, coconut and powdered masala.Check and adjust salt at this stage.Mix well and cook for 3 mins in low flame until the masala is blended well.Switch off.
Serve hot / warm as a evening snack!
- Cook chana until soft else it will not catch the masala well.
- Adding salt while cooking chana is must so that the salt catches well when we add it at that stage.
- You can make the masala powder in advance and store it.
- I didnt have coriander seeds so used homemade coriander powder.You can replace coriander powder with 1/2 tsp coriander seeds.