Chana Sundal Recipe is a very healthy and nutritious sundal .Sundal is a very nutritious snack where legumes / lentils are cooked then tossed in a seasoning. There are many variations to this chana sundal which I’ve posted earlier…Black Chana Sundal and White Chana Sundal.Here I have tried with sundal podi as suggested by my sis and it turned out so flavourful and good that the sundal got over in no time.I made this sundal and clicked specifically to post it for Ayutha Pooja and totally forgot it, and that justifies the last minute posting for tomorrows Ayutha Poojai 🙂 You can even try this for navaratri sundal.
Chana Masala Sundal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
White Chana- 1 cup
Coconut – 3 tbsp
Salt – to taste
To roast and grind:
Chana Dal – 1 tbsp
Moong Dal – 1 tsp
Pepper corns – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli – 1
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2.5 tsp
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
Red Chillies – 2 small
Hing – a tiny pinch
Spicy channa masala sundal recipe quick video
- Soak chana overnight or atleast for 8 hrs.Drain water and pressure cook with water just enough to immerse the chana.Pressure cook for 5-6 whistles or until soft, Set aside.In a pan dry roast the ingredients listed under ‘to roast and grind until golden brown.Once the dals turns golden brown add coriander powder and switch off.
- Cool down, transfer to mixer and powder it finely.Set aside.In a pan heat oil- add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.
- Then add cooked chana, coconut and powdered masala.Check and adjust salt at this stage.Mix well and cook for 3 mins in low flame until the masala is blended well.Switch off.
Serve hot / warm as a evening snack!
- Cook chana until soft else it will not catch the masala well.
- Adding salt while cooking chana is must so that the salt catches well when we add it at that stage.
- You can make the masala powder in advance and store it.
- I didnt have coriander seeds so used homemade coriander powder.You can replace coriander powder with 1/2 tsp coriander seeds.