Moong Dal Sundal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
Coconut – 3 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Split Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
Red Chillies – 1
Hing – a tiny pinch
- Dry roast moong dal till slightly golden browned.Set aside.Boil water, once it starts to boil vigorously add roasted moong dal, little salt and let it cook in low flame.
- The grains should be separate but when you press each dal, it should be soft that is the correct way to cook moong dal for sundal.This may take just 3-5mins.Switch off,strain water and set aside.In a pan heat oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.Add a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Now add cooked dal and just toss it.Add coconut and give a quick stir.Switch off.
Serve hot / warm as a evening snack!
- Moong Dal should be cooked perfectly with grains seperated.It should be soft at the same time retain its shape thats the correct way of cooking moong dal for sundal varieties.So take care while cooking as it cooks faster and easily gets overcooked so be near and keep stirring and have an eye while cooking moong dal.
- After you strain water, just rinse it with cold water to prevent it from further cooking.
- Dry roasting moong dal gives a nice flavour to the sundal so don’t skip it.
- While cooking moong dal make sure to cook in low flame or medium low to avoid overflowing of water.
- Add salt while cooking moong dal and adjust salt level when you add it to the tempered items.