Kadai Chicken Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Chicken – 10 small pieces
Big Onion – 1 finely chopped
Green Capsicum – 3 tbsp chopped into bite sized pieces
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Tomatoes – 2 big or pureed
Fresh Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp chopped finely
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Bayleaf – 1/2
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 1
To roast and grind to a dry powder:
Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
Pepper corns – 1 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chilli -3
Cinnamon – 1.4 inch piece
- Dry roast the ingredients listed under ‘to roast & grind’ to golden brown then grind it to a semi coarse powder,Set aside.
- Heat a pan add a tsp of oil and toast capsicum until crispy(this step is purely optional)…dont let it brown, set aside. Clean chicken , wash it well then add half of roasted powder along with ginger garlic paste,salt, lemon juice turmeric powder and marinate it and set aside.
- Heat a kadai / pan with oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ then add onion,ginger garlic paste let it slightly brown.Then add tomato puree along with remaining roasted powder.
- Mix well and let it cook till raw smell of tomato and masalas leave.Add required salt…Then add chicken pieces and saute for 3mins until the raw texture of chicken changes.Add little water say 1/2 cup , cook covered for 10-12 mins until chicken pieces turn soft or pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
- Allow water to reduce and let oil sepearate, at this stage add toasted capsicum give a quick stir. Let it cook in medium flame for 3mins for capsicum and chicken to blend well and the masala to coat well.Finally garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve hot with steamed rice or with rotis!
- You can pressure cook chicken for 4-5 whistles along with masalas else cook it just by keeping covered as per your preference.
- I did not add extra red chili powder – if you want you can add a tsp if you want more spicy gravy.
- Adding lemon juice to marinade chicken will make the chicken soft.
- You can use a iron kadai for a nice flavour…I used my pressure pan as I chose to pressure cook my chicken as its quicker.
- Toasting capsicum is just optional…you can add it to the gravy as such too. I toasted it to make it crispy and added it only at the last stage to retain its crispness.