Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Check out other kadai based gravies:
Kadai Vegetable Gravy Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Mixed Vegetables * – 1 cup
Paneer – 1/4 cup cubed
Capsicum – 1/2 cup chopped (I used colored)
Big Onion – 1/2 cup chopped finely + 2 tbsp cubed
Tomatoes – 2 medium sized
Fresh Cream – 3 tbsp
Green chilli – 1 tsp finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Kasoori methi – 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp chopped finely
Oil – 3 tsp
Salt- to taste
To roast & grind:
Red Chillies – 2
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Seeds – 2 tsp
- Dry roast the ingredients listed under ‘to roast & grind’ cool down completely and then coarse grind it.I used my mortar and pestle to coarse grind it.Set aside.Chop tomatoes roughly and take it in a mixer.
- Grind it for a fine paste without adding water,Set aside.Chop your veggies and rinse it well.I used my Tupperware Steam it.
- Steam the vegetables until soft yet crunchy enough to bite,Set aside.Heat oil in a pan – add green chillies and ginger garlic paste saute for 2mins.
- Then add onion and saute till transparent then add the chilli coriander powder and saute well for 3mins.Then add tomato paste.
- Let it boil till raw smell leaves.Then add garam masala powder,required salt and boil for 2 mins.Then add 1/2 cup water.
- Add steam cooked vegetables and let it for 3-5mins in low flame.
- When the gravy starts giving a nice aroma, and the consistency is semi thick add paneer, then add fresh cream and mix well.
- Toast capsicum and onion in little oil and add it to the gravy.Mix well and boil for 2mins.Finally garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
- You can even pressure cook / cook the vegetables in boiling water but make sure the veggies are crunchy and also keep in mind they are going to get further cooked in gravy too.
- You can use any vegetbale of your choice like potato,baby corn, mushroom etc but make sure to cook them as per the cooking time each vegetable takes.
- This is medium spicy with the measurement I have given. You can adjust according to your taste buds.
- Adding cream gives a creamy and rich restaurant flavour.I used homemade fresh cream.
- The consistency should be flowing and creamy.
- You can add half and half milk and fresh cream.
- Toasting capsicum, onion and adding at the final stage gives a nice crunch as in restaurants.
- Adding paneer is purely optional.
- I used homemade paneer so it was very soft and absorbed the flavour well.