Saravana Bhavan Style Kara Chutney
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: World | Reference: CooknDine
Onion – 1/4 cup finely chopped
Tomato – 1/2 cup roughly chopped(I used 1 big)
Dry Red Chilli – 3
Whole Urad Dal – 1 tbsp
Channa Dal – 1 tbsp
Garlic – 4 cloves skin peeled chopped roughly
Salt – to taste
Water – as required
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
- In a pan add a drop of oil and roast urad dal,chana dal along with red chillies till golden.Set aside to cool.Now in the same pan add onion,garlic and saute till onion turns transparent.
- While its getting sauted, soak roasted red chillies in hot water.Once onion tuens slightly golden, then add tomato and saute till mushy and raw small leaves completely.
- Cool down and transfer everything to a mixer and grind it along with little water to a chutney consistency.Don’t grind it too smooth.Transfer to a serving bowl.Add required salt and mix well.
- In a tadka pan – heat oil add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.Add this tadka to the chutney and mix well.
Serve hot with idli, dosa or uttapam
- Soaking red chillies is to just get grinded easily.
- Roast the dals just till golden.
- As per the orginal recipe you can add upto 6 red chillies.But for me this itself was spicy.
- Adjust salt according to the spice level of the chillies.
- You can even add a tbsp of grated carrot , saute and grind it as mentioned in the orginal recipe.
- Adding gingelly oil(nallennai) while tempering not only gives flavour,it balances the spice level well.