Murungai Keerai / Drumstick Leaves is known for its health benefits and is specially recommended to expectant and nursing mothers.My maid brings this drumstick leaves whenever she gets in bulk from her neighbourhood and it is so fresh than those we get in markets.It is always better to cook up greens fresh to enjoy the full benefits and this greens in specific is to be cooked and consumed fresh to avoid bitterness.Amma always had trouble feeding me greens from my childhood days but now having grown up 😉 I try to include greens somehow in my diet. Lately I have started liking this murungai keerai when made as poriyal with moong dal so thought to share this recipe from amma – a simple stir fry.
Murungai Keerai Poriyal Recipe
Recipe Category: Side dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian |
Drumstick Leaves – 2 cups loosely packed
Moong Dal – 2 tbsp
Big Onion – 1 small sized finely chopped
Green Chilli – 1 slitted
Coconut – 2 tbsp grated
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
- Remove the leaves from the stalks.Chop them roughly and Rinse the leaves well.Heat oil in a kadai – add mustard seeds and urad dal, let it splutter.
- Then add mong dal and add moong dal and roast for few mins till its golden.Then add green chilli and onion, saute till onions turn transparent.Then add drumstick leaves.
- Add required salt, Saute for few mins then add water and cook covered till the leaves are tender.
- Once cooked you can see the color change too, there should be no water at this stage now add coconut give a quick stir and switch off.
Serve hot with rice and sambar.
- Don’t add too much water, add just till immersing level.If the leaves are tender it may cook fast else it will take time.
- If in case you have added more water than required, once the keerai is cooked keep in high flame for the water to evaporate then proceed.
- Adding moong dal gives nice flavour to the poriyal.