And one more thing I am just in the process of changing few things here in the site…so any unsual activity/changes you see?! its me working on it so please dont panic 🙂 Now lets get on to learn how to make paruppu usili.
Kothavarangai Paruppu Usili Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Kothavarangai(Cluster Beans) – 2 cups chopped
Salt – to taste
To grind to a coarse paste:
Toor Dal – 1/8 cup
Channa Dal – 1/8 cup
Dried Red Chillies – 2
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a sprig
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Hing – a small pinch
- Trim the edges and chop cluster beans finely.Rinse it well and boil it with enough water for the veggie to get cooked.
- Once the beans gets cooked(turns soft), set aside. Now take both the dals and rinse it well. Soak it in water for an hour atleast.
- Drain water and grind the dals along with red chillies to a coarse mixture. Boil water in idli pan, spread the coarse mixture on the steamer plate and steam it for 5-7mins,
- Once done cool down and then crumble it with your hands, set aside. Now heat oil in a kadai – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.Then add the dal mixture.
- Saute till golden brown then add the cooked cluster beans and mix well. Add required salt.Cook for 3mins until the dal mixture blends well with the veggie.Switch off.
Serve with rice and any curry of your choice!
- Make sure to grind it coarse, if it becomes a paste then you will not get the perfect texture.So make sure to drain water completely.
- Spreading and then steaming it helps crumbling easily.
- You can use the same recipe for making with any veggie you like….flatbeans,beans,vazhaipoo etc.
- Add water only till immersing level of the beans, that is enough for it to get cooked.