Amla/Gooseberry(Nellikai) has lot of health benefits...its really good to include it in your daily diet with its richest form of Vitamin C. This is the first time I am trying Amla Rice....I made it simple just like lemon rice....it turned out so good that everyone instantly liked the taste. I have already made Amla juice, other than that just eat it raw...instant goodness I should say! Dont miss to drink water after you have this rice :))
Amla Rice Recipe - IngredientsServes : 2Cooking & Preparation Time: 35 mins
Amla - 1/4 cup heaped grated
Cooked Rice - 1 and 1/4 cups
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - a small sprig
To temper:Oil - 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 3/4 tsp
Chana Dal - 2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Red Chillies - 2
Peanuts - 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Hing - a small pinch
1.Wash amla, grate it using a grater,Discard the seeds...Set aside.Heat oil in a pan - add the items under 'to temper' table, let mustard seeds splutter.
3.Cook rice in 1(rice):2.5(water) ratio and spread it with a tsp of oil. Add cooked rice to the amla seasoning and mix gently.Serve hot with papad or any curry of your choice.
2.Fry till dals turn golden brown then add grated amla and saute for 2-3mins.
I loved the flavour of the rice with the goodness of amla, do try it for yourself and enjoy it! Amla has the richest source of Vitamin C so try to include it your daily diet.
My Notes :
- You can use leftover rice too to make variety rice.If you are using hot rice,make it well in advance fluff and spread it with oil and keep aside.
- I used normal rice, if you want you can use basmati rice too.
- While tempering you can add either red chillies / green chillies.
- Amla cooks easily so dont saute for more time.
- If you wish you can even add onion for extra crunch.
Written by: SHARMILEE J