Shortbread Cookies Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Cookies | Recipe Cuisine: World | Recipe Reference: Joyofbaking
Maida(All purpose flour) – 1 cup(135 gms)
Unsalted butter – 1/2 cup (100 gms)
Powdered Sugar – 1/4 cup (40 gms)
Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/8 tsp
- In a separate bowl whisk flour with salt, keep aside.In another bowl beat butter and sugar well until creamy with a whisk. Then add vanilla essence and give a quick stir.Gently add in the flour mixture.
- Combine to form a soft dough – If it doesnt come together add just few drops of water/milk.Flatten the dough, wrap it in plastic wrap and chill it for atleast an hour(this is for making the dough firm so that while baking it doesnt spread but I was in a hurry so skipped the chilling part).Then on a slightly floured surface / place a butter paper like I did, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness, then cut using your favourite shaped cookie cutters. Collect the scraps, roll again until you finish the entire dough.If you feek sticky then slightly flour the cookie cutters before using it.Meanwhile preheat the oven at 177 deg C for 10mins.
- Line butter paper on the cookie tray and transfer the shaped cookies to the butter paper – I chilled the cookies at this stage for 10 mins while the oven was preheating. Once the oven is preheated,bake the cookies at the same temperature for 10-12 mins(mine took 15mins) or until the edges start turning golden brown.Cool down completely on a wire rack.
The cookies may look soft, once cooled down it becomes crisp.
- You can have this as a basic cookie recipe and have many variations.The cookies are mildy sweet and has a slight salt taste too that makes them unique.
- Add 1/4 cup chocochip (or) a tsp of lemon / orange zest.
- The texture of shortbread can also be changed by replacing 1/8 cup maida with rice flour for a slightly crunchy texture.For a melt in the mouth texture, replace 1/4 cup of the all purpose flour with cornstarch (corn flour).
- You can even use 3/4 cup of maida and 1/4 cup wheat flour for a more healthy version.Dont think half and half will work.
- Dip the shortbreads in melted chocolate for a glaze.
- Salt is added just to lift the sweetness. You can skip that too.