Idiyappam Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Side dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Rice flour – 1 cup
Water – 1 cup (adjust as needed)
Salt – to taste
For the sweet idiyappam:
Sugar – 2 to 3 tbsp(adjust according to your preference)
Coconut – 1/4 cup grated
Coconut Milk – as required
Jaggery powdered – as required(optional)
- Dry roast the rice flour for 2 mins(dont change the color)keep aside. Though roasting is optional amma does it so have been following it too.Store bought ones are already roasted I guess so check it before roasting.Bring water to a rolling boil – now add the boiling water little by little to the rice flour with salt.
- Mix well with a laddle to form a slightly sticky soft dough. When it is still warm knead it well with your hands and bring it together to form a dough.Take a portion of the dough, make cylindrical shape and place it inside the greased idiyappam press.
- Close the lid and press it slowly inside the pan to be steamed. Press it in swirls starting from outside to inside – I used my idli pan for this.Steam it for 12-15mins. The basic idiyappam is ready now.You can add coconut, cardamom powder and sugar with the idiyappam and mix well. You can also add coconut milk while serving. Jaggery can be replaced with sugar too.
First you need a idiyappam press for making idiyappam.A reader had requested to show my press so have updated the above pic 🙂
- You can use the omapodi press for this else use a slightly bigger hole press if you are making sevai varieties.
- If you are making idiyappam in bulk make sure to keep the dough covered with a wet cloth or make the dough in batches which is what I do.
- Make sure the dough is not dry , add required water little by little accordingly.If water is not hot enough then pressing will be tough.
- While pressing dont layer too much that helps in even cooking.