Though diwali reminds me of lights, crackers, new clothes, distributing sweets to neighbors…..On the other side each channel competiting with their own special programs, movies and diwali releases the whole city looks festive which sets the diwali mood .The best part I enjoy is making sweets/savouries at home and it has become even more special when I started to make on my own.
Omapodi (Plain Sev) – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Besan flour – 1 cup
Rice flour(Idiyappam flour) – 1/4 cup
Butter – 1 tbsp (at room temperature)
Ajwain(Omam) – 1 tsp
Hot oil – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – for deep frying
- Dry roast ajwain for 2 mins till nice aroma comes, then powder it(I used my hand mortar and pestle) – It is ok if its coarse as we will be filtering it. Add the ajwain powder to 2-3 tbsp of warm water and set aside for a while.Then filter it and keep aside.
- Sieve besan flour and rice flour and transfer this to a mixing bowl. Add the filtered ajwain water, hot oil, butter and required salt and mix it.
- Add water little by little to form a soft sticky dough. Take ur sev press and fill it till 3/4th.Meanwhile heat oil – To check if the oil is hot, pinch a small piece of dough and drop it in oil if it immediately comes to topthen the oil is ready.
- Press it in the preheated oil starting from the corners like a circle finishing it up in the middle. Once it is cooked on one side turn over to other side and cook till bubbles(shh sound) ceases. Repeat this process for the rest of the dough.
Chat recipes with Sev :
- Be very careful while adding water as the dough consistency is very important. Do not let the dough rest for more time as it will get dry and pressing will be very difficult.
- If it takes time then cover the dough with a wet cloth. Still if its difficult to press through, then sprinkle a little water to loosen the dough but very little.
- I used my idiyappam press as I like my sev to be very fine. You can either use a big hole press or small one as you like it.
- You get a big murukku kind while you take out it is very brittle so tends to break down to sev by itself.