Kuzha Puttu Recipe
Rice Flour – 1 cup
Coconut – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 2 tbsp (optional)
Salt – as required
Water – as required to sprinkle
- Take the flour in a mixing bowl,add required salt to it. Start sprinkling water little by little, mix well.Keep a note that the flour should look like grated coconut or breadcrumbs.Do not add more water, it will become sticky.The right consistency is when you take the prepared flour and close it with your fist it should form a shape.
- You can let it rest for 30mins-1 hr.After resting time if it becomes too dry then sprinkle little more water.Add water to the cooker and let it boil for 2mins.Fit the perforated disc correctly at the bottom of the puttu maker.Then grease the puttu maker and start filling it with the flour mixture then coconut layer alternatively till you reach the rim of the puttu maker.Now attach it the cooker and steam it for 5-7mins in low flame.Turn off heat and let is rest for 2-3mins then gently push it with a wooden laddle or the skewer such that the puttu comes out clean.
Serve hot with kadala curry.
Kadala Curry Recipe
Kadala (Brown Channa) – 1 cup(soaked in water overnight atleast for 8 hours)
Shallots(Chinna Vengayam) – a handful
Tomato – 1 roughly chopped
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 3/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
To roast and grind:
Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
Shallots(Chinna Vengayam) – 6 cut into half
Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp
Dried Red Chilies – 2
Cinnamon – a small piece
Cloves – 2
Coconut Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves –few
- Pressure cook channa with water(till immersing level) until soft,dont drain water… keep aside.Heat a pan , dry roast all the ingredients listed under ‘to roast and grind’ till slightly golden brown.
- Transfer to a mixer and grind it to a fine paste, Set aside. Heat oil in a kadai – add the items listed under ‘to temper’.
- Add shallots and fry till golden brown then add tomato and saute till mushy and raw smell leaves.Then add the coconut paste along with red chilli powder and coriander powder.Add required salt.
- Mix well , saute for 3mins then add cooked channa along with water.Allow it to boil.
- Once the curry is thick and oil starts seperating and required curry stage is reached, switch off.
Serve with hot puttu / appam.
- Kadala curry serves as a nice sidedish for rotis, puttu, idiyapam or even aapams.
- When I googled for kadala curry there were many sites which even suggested to add red chilli and coriander as powders but this freshly ground spice powders gives a very nice flavour.
- If you dont have puttu maker then just sprinkle it in idli pan and steam it for 10mins
- Adding elachi and sugar is purely optional when you have kadala curry as sidedish but I like the slight hint of sweetness in my puttu 🙂