Veg Kurma Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Vegetables – 1 and 1/4 cup(I used a combination of carrots, gobi, peas,potato and beans)
Onion – 1 medium sized
Tomato – 1 medium sized
Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 2 tsp (or) Thick Curd – 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves – 1/2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
To grind to a paste:
Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Cashews – 4
Poppy seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Split roasted gram – 2 tsp
Green Chillies – 2
Cloves – 2
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch piece
Cardamom – 1
Oil – 1 tbsp
Maze(Japthri) – 1
Bayleaf – 1
Curry leaves – few
- First grind the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ with little water to a fine paste, Set aside. Chop the vegetables and rinse it well.
- Parboil the vegetables(just half cooked) along with little salt,set aside.Heat oil in a kadai – add the items under ‘to temper’ then add ginger garlic paste followed by onion saute well until slightly browned.
- Then add chopped tomatoes fry until mushy and raw smell leaves. Then add red chilli powder, coriander powder,garam masala powder and fry for 2mins for the masala powders to blend well.
- Then add the coconut paste, 3/4 to 1 cup water and allow it to boil for 5mins in low flame until raw smell leaves. Then add the veggies,required salt and simmer.
- Simmer and allow it to boil till you get a thick kurma consistency.If you are adding curd add it at this stage. Add chopped coriander leaves,lemon juice and switch it off.
Serve it hot with rotis / pooris.
- The kurma thickens with time so switch it off accordingly.
- The combination of veggies is purely your choice.You can even add channa / butter beans / or even soya chunks.
- Instead of parboiling the veggies you can even add the veggies directly to the gravy and pressure cook it for a whistle and then simmer. But this way take care not to mush the veggies.
- You can slip tomatoes and add 3 tbsp of cream / milk to make the kurma white base and even more richer.
- Lemon juice or curd is a must to give a slight tanginess to the kurma.