Kadai paneer is a a bit spicy tomato based gravy....or I should say it can be made a bit gravy kind or semi dry, its our preference - I made it on the semi dry version.I am fond of trying out new paneer dishes because I'm bored of trying the same PB masala so this recipe is my latest addiction.
I have updated the recipe and the pics with stepwise as few readers had requested for it long back.One fine lazy afternoon, googled to find out other paneer recipes and this kadai paneer caught my eye, and set out to try it. It turned out to be a hit at home. Paneer cooked in tomato coriander sauce simmed in a kadai - do u need any other tempting description?! :).
Kadai Paneer Recipe - IngredientsCooking Time:30 mins Serves:2
Paneer - 1 cup cubed
Capsicum - 1 cubed (I used half green and half red)
Tomatoes - 2 tbsp cubed
Onion - 1 chopped finely
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
Dhania(Coriander) powder - 1/2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Green chillies - 1 chopped
Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp chopped
Salt - to taste
For grinding:Tomatoes - 2
Coriander seeds - 1.5 tsp
Red Chillies - 1
Dry roasted coriander seeds and red chillies can be coarsely powdered seperately and added too. But I find it easy to combine with tomatoes and grind, either way no big difference in taste.
1. Dry roast coriander seeds and red chillies seperately and grind it with tomato to a fine paste.
2. Heat half a tsp of oil, add cubed paneer and toast it until it turns golden brown. Transfer the toasted paneer to hot water for 5mins, drain and keep aside(this is to retain the softness of the paneer). Heat remaining oil in a pan, add green chillies and ginger garlic paste saute for a minute.
3.Then add onions, tomato cubes and saute till raw smell leaves and onions turn slightly browned. Then add the tomato puree(with coriander seeds and red chillies grinded). Add chilli powder, garam masala powder and dhania powder, give a quick stir.Add required salt.
4.Add kasoori methi ,Next add the capsicum and saute till its cooked but retain its crunchiness dont let it become very soft. Add 1/4 cup water and allow it to boil and thicken.
5.Once it reaches semi gravy consistency, add the paneer cubes mix well. Add chopped coriander leaves, gives quick stir and switch off.
- Kadai paneer can be made gravy kind too by adding 2 more tomatoes and switching off when the gravy consistency is reached.
- After toasting the paneer, transfer to hot water and take it out within 5mins and drain it else the paneer would become rubbery.
- Dont skip the kasoori methi as it gives a nice and unique flavour to the gravy.
- Freshly ground coriander seeds gives a nice flavour to the curry.
This can be served with rotis or mild pulaos. We had it with kuska biriyani and enjoyed the meal. The highlight of kadai paneer is freshly ground coriander powder with the flavour of capsicum an kasoori methi - Spicy, flavourul and yum.