Chana sundal recipe – It is a savoury snack traditional made for vinayagar chathurthi…..We usually make sweet modakam(pooranam kozhukattai), savoury kozhukattai, channa sundal and ellu urundai now. The internet at home has gone down for the past 2 days and am feeling sick, just came to a near by browsing center to post this 🙂 Hopefully my net should be back atleast for the next post….keeping fingers crossed.
Chana Sundal Recipe – Ingredients
Preparation Time : 5 mins + overnight chana soaking time | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Recipe Category: Snack| Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Channa – 1/2 cup
Coconut – 2 tbsp
Water – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
Red Chillies – 2 small
Curry leaves – few
Chana sundal recipe video
- Soak channa overnight atleast for 8 hours.Rinse well and pressure cook along with 1 cup of water and required salt for 5 to 6 whistles or until soft,Set aside.
- It should be easily mashable.Heat oil in a pan – add the ingredients under ‘to temper’ and allow it to crackle. Saute till the dal turns golden.
- Then add the cooked channa and mix well with the tempered items.Once it is slightly dry add coconut , give it a quick stir and switch off.Add salt if needed.
When I saw these thonais(the cup holding the sundal) at Nilgiris the first thing that striked me was to make channa sundal and click with it. Sometimes yes the props hold more attention than the main dish to me 🙂 I am sure most food bloggers will agree with me.
- You can even boil the channa instead of pressure cooking, but I prefer the pressure cooking way.
- While pressure cooking channa adding salt takes time to cook so I always add it while tempering.
- You can use the same method for cooking green gram,mocha kottai or even channa dhal which makes a variety for navaratri sundal recipes.