Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Thank you Raji for the beautiful bowls and other gifts too 🙂 I couldn’t wait to click using them so chose a recipe today to suit these bowls 😉
Beetroot Pulao Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Beetroot – 3/4 cup finely chopped
Green Peas – 1/4 cup
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Big onion – 1 small sized finely chopped
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
Channa Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Water – 1 and 1/2 cups
Coriander leaves – 1 tsp finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Ghee – 1/2 tbsp
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch stick
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 1
To grind to a coarse paste:
Small Onion – 5
Green Chilli – 1
- Take a mixer and grind small onion and green chili to a coarse paste.I used 5 small onions which was big so halved them.Chop beets into small cubes, remove peas from shell rinse the veggies and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil + ghee – add cinaamon,cloves and cardamom, let it splutter then add ginger garlic paste , onion chilli paste.Fry till raw smell leaves.Saute in low flame for atleast 3mins.
- Then add chopped onion and fry till it turns transparent.Then add chana masala powder, garam masala powder and turmeric powder.Fry the masala well for 5mins.
- Then add beetroot and peas and saute in low flame for 2mins.Add required salt.I soaked rice for 30mins.
- Drain water and add the rice and give a quick saute till the masalas are nicely coated with the rice.Then add water.
- Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.Once pressure releases fluff the rice and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot / warm!
- Soaking rice helps in cooking faster and gives a nice fluffy texture.
- You can even cook this pulao in pan, but adjust water accordingly.It may require atleast 2.5 cups of water.
- Take care to add the spice powders only after the raw smell of onion garlic leaves.
- This rice is very mild and less spicy.You can play with spice as you prefer.It depends on the sweetness of the beets.
- Adding chana masala powder gives a extra flavour, but if you don’t have it just go ahead only with garam masala powder.You can replace chana masala powder with pav bhaji masala powder.