Last time when I bought Pineapple I reserved half of it for making kesari and kashmiri pulao.Ever since I bought this copper serving dish from Trichy, I wanted to click Kashmiri Pulao with it.I dreamed and dreamed finally a day came that I could bring my dreams into action…yessss I loved this set of pictures….Kashmiri pulao is so colorful and photogenic that I took a huge number of pics that it took me a while to segregate the pics and edit them 🙂
Kashmiri Pulao Recipe Video
Kashmiri Pulao Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Basmati Rice – 1 cup(long grained)
Milk – 1/4 cup + 1 tsp
Water – 1 and 3/4 cups
Saffron – 10 strands
Big Onion – 1 chopped lengthwise
Roasted jeera powder – 3/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Ghee – 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp
Oil – 1/2 tbsp
Cinnamon – three 1/4 inch piece
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 1
Star Anise – 1
Fruits & Dry Fruits & Nuts:
Pineapple – 1/2 cup chopped
Pomegranate – 1/2 cup
Cashews – 20 nos
Almonds – 15 nos chopped
Raisins – 2 tbsp
- Rinse rise and Soak it in water for 20-30mins,Set aside.Now in a pan – heat 2 tbsp ghee add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter then drain and add rice and saute for 3mins.
- Soak saffron in 1tbsp hot milk and crush it well.Add the saffron milk mixture to rice, then add 1/2 cup milk and a and 1/2 cups water with required salt.
- Cook covered until rice is done.Once rice is cooked switch off and fluff it up with a fork and set aside.Now heat remaining ghee add the dry fruits and nuts, fry well till its crispy and becomes golden brown.I fried the whole cashews separately and reserved it for garnishing.
- Now heat 1/2 tbsp oil and fry the onions till nicely browned(you can deep fry them too).Heat up the rice once if its too cold, Now add fried onions,ghee fried dry fruits and nuts to it and switch off.
- When its still warm add the fruits and give a quick stir.Finally add roasted jeera powder and give a quick mix.
Your kashmiri pulao is ready to be served.
- You can pressure cook rice in the same mentioned ratio of water and milk for 1 cup of rice for 3 whistles das shown in the video.
- If you don’t want the spices to come while eating then discard them.
- Don’t add the fruits while rice is hot it will leave out water.Add fruits just before serving.So if you are making for guests, get all your ingredients ready and while you are about to serve heat the rice give a quick stir and when its still warm all fried onions,dry fruits nuts and fresh fruits.
- Don’t heat / reheat after fruits are added.
- You can even deep fry onions to save time, I tawa toasted it and it took around 10-12mins to get roasted well.
- Reserve whole cashews and use it for garnish and serving.
- Adding roasted jeera powder gives a nice flavour.
- You can even add 1/3 cup of cubed paneer.
- Presoaking rice not only cooks the rice faster, it gives nice soft fluffy rice.Make sure you saute the rice in ghee before cooking which helps in cooking the rice grain separated.
- You can even add apples but since it browns faster I avoided it.You can add few fresh green / black grapes to the pulao.
- You can even add vegetables like peas and carrot but I prefer making it just with fruits as the traditional way.
- As the pulao is mildy sweet, pair it up with any spicy kurma or sidedish.
- The fruits and dry fruits are enough for the sweetness but if you prefer you can add a tsp of sugar too.