Sugar Cookies have many variations like the one I posted here with royal icing.Sugar Cookies can be made by hand shaping them or by cutting them with cookie cutter like I’ve done here.I made use of the christmas cooker cutter set for these cookies.I always love cutout sugar cookies,this time I tried adding sugar sprinklers on top and they looked so pretty, no wonder mittu loved it so much.
This is the basic cookie dough, you can do many variations using this.Check my notes.
Sugar Cookies Recipe
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: World
All purpose flour – 1 and 1/2 cups
Chilled Butter – 1/3 cup
Powdered sugar – 3/4 cup
Egg – 1 at room temperature
Vanilla Essence – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Colored Sugar Sprinklers – as needed
- Measure and add flour to a siever,then add baking powder and salt.
- Sieve it well for even mixing.
- Now in another mixing bowl,add butter and powdered sugar.
- Whisk it well until creamy, I used electric handmixer.Then add an egg.
- Whisk it for a minute,then addvanilla essence or any essence of your choice.
- Now add flour mixture,combine and gather to form a soft dough.
- Now your basic cookie dough is ready.Cling wrap it and refrigerate.
- Now get ready with your cookie cutters and sugar sprinklers.I used half of this dough for sugar cookies.Then on a butter paper keep the dough and place another butter paper on it so that the dough is like a sandwich between the 2 butter papers.Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness, preheat the oven at 177 deg C for 10mins.
- Then cut using your favourite shaped cookie cutters. Collect the scraps, roll again until you finish the entire dough.If you feel sticky then slightly flour the cookie cutters before using it.Meanwhile preheat the oven at 180 deg C for 10mins.Line butter paper on the cookie tray and transfer the shaped cookies to the butter paper – I chilled the cookies at this stage for 10 mins while the oven was preheating.
- Sprinkle the colored sugar over the cookies.Once the oven is preheated,bake the cookies at the same temperature for 10-12 mins or until the edges start turning golden brown.Cool down completely on a wire rack.The cookies may look soft, once cooled down it becomes crisp.
Store in a clean airtight box.
- Other Variations : Dip the cookies in melted chocolate, add chopped nuts to the dough or choco chips.Be creative and add it according to your liking.
- I used chilled butter, used electric handmixer so it was easy to beat.But if you are using handwhisk use room temperature butter so that its easy to whisk.
- Do not be tempted to bake more, the cookies will become hard.Just take out when it starts to turn golden at the edges,thats the right time to take out.
- I used the sugar sprinklers which hubby bought from US.You can use homemade sugar sprinklers too.
- Chilling the dough is must else the cookies may spread out and will not hold shape while cutting too.