I was so disappointed as I couldn’t find it elsewhere and when I was browsing Arife Lamoulde page luckily saw the same cookie cutter set there, enquired their stock through wats app and ordered them immediately….what a surprise I got it delivered the next day itself.Yes each of my online purchases have such stories associated with them 🙂 I already used these cutters for cumin biscuits.
I referred my alltime favorite baking encyclopedia Joy of Baking and tried these cookies, I halved the recipe made the dough and chilled it overnight.Next day I cut the cookies and baked them.Rich,buttery jam cookies tasted yum that I couldn’t resist myself 🙂
You can even make a simple shortbread or sugar cookie dough and make these cookies but this is the traditional way of making linzer cookies and thats the reason I tried the version with eggs but sure to post a eggless version soon.
Linzer Cookies – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Cookies | Recipe Cuisine: South World Reference : JoyofBaking
Maida – 1 cup(130 gms)
Whole almonds – 1/2 cup(75 gms)
Cinnamon powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Lemon Zest – 1/8 tsp
Unsalted butter – 1/2 cup at room temperature(113 gms)
Granulated sugar – 1/2 cup(75 gms)
Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
Powdered Sugar – 2 tbsp(just for dusting)
Egg – 1(20 gms)
- Soak almonds in hot water for 15mins.Peel off the skin and toast the almonds in a pan till slight brown spots appear here and there.Cool down.
- Take almonds along with a tbsp of granulated sugar in a mixer and grind it to a semi fine powder,Set aside.Scrap the lemon outer skin to take lemon zest.
- In a mixing bowl, take flour,cinnamon powder,salt and lemon zest.Whisk it well.Carefully seperate egg yolk and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl take butter, add sugar to it beat it well using a hand mixer or with a whisk.Beat well till the mixture becomes fluffy atleast for 2mins.
- Add vanilla essence,powdered almonds and eggs.Beat it for 2mins.Finally add flour.
- Beat it till the mixture comes together.Bring together with your hands, wrap in cling film and chill the dough atleast for an hour.
- Now lay butter paper, place the dough and again place another butter paper and roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.Take your cookie cutter and cut out the cookies.Take a small cutter and cut the center as shown in the pic.Repeat it until the entire dough finishes.
- Preheat the oven at 180 deg C for 10mins.Meanwhile keep the tray in the fridge.Carefully take the cookies and place in a butter paper laid on a cookie tray.Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 mins or until the edges start to brown.Remove from oven and cool in wirerack.
- Cool down the cookies completely.Take any of your favorite jam in a bowl and keep it immersed in hot water just for the jam to melt a little.In a plate take the whole cookies, flip over and place it on a plate.Spoon the jam in the center.
- Now take the cookies with a hole,sieve icing sugar on it.Now take the hole cookies and place it on the cookies with jam.Now your cookies are ready.
Keeps well for about 2 weeks in room temperature itself!
- The cookies spread out slightly while baking so leave enough space between each cookie.
- I always place the cookie tray in fridge till the preheating time, so that the cookies will be firm until baking time.
- Rolling the dough in between 2 butter papers ensures easy rolling without sticking.
- Do not be tempted to overbake just 10-12mins will be just fine.It will be soft when taken out of the oven after cooling it will be crisp.
- Once the jam is sandwiched the cookies become soft, so it is recommended to sandwich them at the time of serving time.
- You can use any of your favourite jam.
- As I took it out from fridge I had to warm it up a little to make it goey so that its easy to spread.
- For eggless version check my sugar cookie / shortbread cookie recipes.