I usually make Rice Dal Mix but this millet khichdi mix was suggested to me by my close friend Sujatha.Even before I started solids for him, I used to enquire about the porridge recipes and she suggested this one.This khichdi tastes close to the rice dal porridge so thankfully gugu liked it.
I usually make this porridge for him when we make kara kuzhambu / pulikuzhambu for us.I feed this khichdi along with the poriyal (stir fry) we make for lunch, the meal is wholesome and is equivalent to rice,dal and vegetables.You can start this porridge after 8 months.
Please remember mothers feed is the best and its always good to start with other food only after the baby finishes 6 months.These baby food recipes will help those who are not able to breast feed due to personal / medical conditions.Always consult your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
Millet Khichdi Mix Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Baby Food | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
For making porridge:
Porridge Mix – 1.5 heaped tbsp
Water – 3/4 cup
Ghee – 1/4 tsp
- Measure all your ingredients and get ready.Rinse the millets, first varagu,thinai.
- Then moong dal,rinse them well drain water and let it dry under sun for an hour.Now start roasting, I started with thinai.
- Roast until golden brown, the millet will become crisp thats the right stage,Switch off and let it to cool.Then add varagu.
- Dry roast till golden,set aside to cool.Finally add moong dal roast until golden brown.Set aside to cool.
- Then add jeera roast until slightly browned,then add hing roast for 2 seconds.Switch off.
- Set aside to cool for sometime, then transfer to a mixer and grind it to a semi fine powder.It will be slightly coarse that you can feel the texture while touching.Allow it to cool down for few mins then store.
- To make the porridge : Take porridge mix powder in a sauce pan,add water.Whisk well.Cook in low flame.
- Keep cooking in low flame until it starts to thicken.
- It will become thick in a while,more like this a thick sauce.At this stage add ghee and switch off.
- The porridge mix powder keeps well for 4months in room temperature itself.
- This khicdi thickens with time so switch off accordingly.
- Add more water as it takes sometime for the millets to cook as with rice.
- I didn’t sieve as the mixture is coarse.
- You can even add any vegetables with this.I usually feed this khichdi along with the poriyal we make for us.