This Instant Sweet Appam using wheat flour is my recent try, it tasted soo good that I am going to make this often may be I will choose the option of using kuzhipaniyaram pan like here.I’ve heard from my neighbour that they make this appam for Karthigai Deepam so thought this would be a timely post 🙂
As I have already posted the low fat version of wheat flour appam I tried deep frying them this time, the appams came out so soft and spongy….the banana flavour in this appam is so flavourful that you cannot stop with one.These appams doesn’t require any soaking and grinding like neiappam so you can make this sweet appam instantly.Check out instant neiappam that I’ve already posted.
You can even treat your kids with healthy snack when they return back from school….!
Wheat Flour Appam Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Wheat flour – 1 cup
Jaggery – 1/2 cup heaped
Rice flour – 1 tbsp
Ripe Banana – 1 small
Cardamom powder – a generous pinch
Cooking soda – 1/4 tsp
Salt – a tiny pinch
Water 1/4 cup(for jaggery syrup) + as required to make batter
Oil – to fry
- Add 1/4 cup water to jaggery and heat it up until it nicely bubbles and is slightly thick. Strain to remove impurities and set the jaggery syrup aside.
- Mash the banana well with a fork,In a mixing bowl – add wheat flour,rice flour and banana.Then add jaggery syrup.
- Add a pinch of salt.Mix well, add water little by little to form a smooth thick batter.Whisk it well to avoid lumps.Then add cardamom powder and cooking soda give a quick mix.
- I planned to deep fry in my small tadka pan so used my measuring spoon to scoop the batter.Heat oil in a pan and when its hot pour the batter using a laddle.Make only one at a time else it will stcik to each other and get messy.
- Heat oil in a pan and when its hot pour the batter using a laddle.Make only one at a time else it will stcik to each other and get messy.
Fluffy and soft appams ready to be served.Serve hot !
- If you are the normal kadai for deep frying then use a bigger laddle but make sure the laddle is deep curved one so that you get good round shaped appams.
- Banana gives a soft and spongy texture to the appams, and the flavour is amazing.
- You can even add jaggery as such but I wanted to strain the impurities so made syrup and then added.If you want your appams to be more sweet then add 3/4 cup jaggery.
- You can increase jaggery if your banana is not sweet.
- You can choose to make this in paniyaram pan too.
- You can fry the appams in half ghee and half oil too.
- You can make this appams instantly just mix and deep fry no need to wait.