Some 2 yrs back when Raji asked me what I wanted when she comes down , I asked for this cookie cutter and she was generous enough to buy the entire christmas themed cookie cutter set with other baking goodies too 🙂 I used most of them for my shortbread cookies and sugar cookies.Somehow I missed to try this gingerbreadmen in the yrs 2012 and 13 so this year I determined myself to bake these cookies.After sugar cookies, this is the second time I am trying my hands on icing and am pretty much satisfied with the results 🙂
When mittu returned from school the first thing she asked me was where is my gingerbreadman…yes she loves the story of gingerbreadman and now she was surprised to see those cookies real in her hands.I packed and gave some to mittus little friend and she enjoyed it too.
Gingerbread Man Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: World | Recipe Reference : MyDiverseKitchen
Maida – 1 and 1/4 cups + to dust
Demerera Sugar – 1/4 cup tightly packed
Honey – 1/4 cup
Unsalted Butter – 50 gms
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Dry Ginger – 1/2 tbsp
Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
Clove powder – 1/4 tsp
Nutmeg powder – 1/4 tsp
Black Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Royal Icing :
Icing Sugar – 1/4 cup
Cornflour – 3/4 tsp
Lemon Juice – 1/2 tsp
Milk – 1 to 2 tsp
- Take brown sugar in a mixer and powder it fine.Now take butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Beat them well until creamy. I used chilled butter so it took sometime for me to get this creamy texture.Now add honey and beat it again for 2mins.
- Now measure and keep your spice powders ready.Add it to the flour along with baking powder and baking soda.
- Sieve it twice for even mixing.Now add the flour to the creamed butter sugar mixture.Mix well with your hands to form a smooth nonsticky dough.
- Cling wrap it and refrigerate it atleast for an hr.Now take a portion of the dough and roll it on a butter paper, to 1/4 inch in thickness.Cut shapes with the cookie cutter.
- Carefully take the gingerbread man an place it on the baking tray lined with butter paper.Now scrap the extras and repeat the process.Preheat oven at 180 deg C for 10mins.Leave good spacing between the cookies as it grows in size.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 mins or until the egdes are nicely browned.Cool down on wirerack and bake the next batch.Cool down completely and then store.
- Now for the royal icing take icing sugar in a mixing bowl, add cornflour.
- Mix it well using a whisk.Now add lemon juice and mix well.Now add milk little by little.
- And form a smooth slightly thin paste.The consistency should be thick but flowing as shown below. Divide the icing into equal portions in different bowls, then add few drops of food colors in each bowl for get the required color.I wanted white green and red so added colors accordingly.Now makes 3 cones and add the prepared icing into each of the cones separately.
- Seal the open ends completely, I used cellotape and sealed it.Now your cones are ready.Just cut the tip of the icing bag to get a fine line for decorating. Be creative and decorate your cookies.By now the cookies must have cooled down so start decorating the cookies.
Cool down and store in airtight container.
These cookies are crisp, but if you prefer slightly crunchy cookies then bake for just 10mins.
My cookie cutter is small just 1.5 inches in height so got many cookies.So the count depends on the size of the size of the cookie cutter.
- You can replace brown sugar with jaggery but I prefer adding brown sugar as adding jaggery as such will have impurities.Jaggery we get here is known for impurities so its better that we make syrup and add it but am not sure of the syrup measures so to be on the safer side chose to use brown sugar.
- If you don’t have the gingerbread man cookie cutter, dont worry you can make any preferred shape of your choice.
- You can adjust the consistency of this icing….If you need to thin the icing add a bit of milk and mix till you get the desired consistency. If you need it thicker, add more icing sugar as required.
- Keep all your required things on your workarea so that its easier to grab things and also clean it later.
- If you find cookies uneven in thickness, bake the thicker cookies in a batch and the thiner cookies in another batch.
- The prepared icing thickens with time so its better to have a slightly runny flowing icing.
- As we need icing for just outline you may not require much of icing but if you prepare to fill the cookies with icing then you can double the ingredients and make the icing.
- When you bake for 8-10 mins the cookies are crunchy but 12 mins was perfect for me as it yielded crispy cookies.Soon after the cookies are baked, it will be soft to touch but after cooling down it will harden.
- This cookie dough keeps well for even a month , just cling wrap it and refrigerate it.And whenever you want to bake, you can unwrap,cut them and bake the cookies.
- While rolling if it sticks dust flour but don’t overdo.
- Make sure to roll thin else your cookies will not get cooked properly and it will become chewy.
- If you feel the dough is a little loose add 1 or 2 tbsp flour and knead it.But don’t add more flour as it might make the cookies chewy in texture.
- Cool down completely before decorating the cookies.
- While arranging the cookies in the tray don’t crowd them, just give nice spacing as the cookies grows slightly.
- I usually keep the prepared baking tray in fridge till preheating time, this avoids the cookies from spreading.
- I used normal plastic covers to prepare the cone, you can even use ziplock covers.Make sure to cut a small hole as it tends to get bigger once we start doing the icing.