I asked amma to shoot a video using my mobile just to show how to shape the candy cane cookies,hope its useful do check it out.
No this click was not intentional as usual when I was clicking he wanted to taste the cookies 🙂
Candy Cane Cookies Recipe
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: World
All purpose flour – 1 and 1/2 cups
Chilled Butter – 1/3 cup
Powdered sugar – 3/4 cup
Egg – 1 at room temperature
Vanilla Essence – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Food Color – as needed
- Measure and add flour to a siever,then add baking powder and salt.
- Sieve it well for even mixing.
- Now in another mixing bowl,add butter and powdered sugar.Cream together butter and sugar.
- Whisk it well until creamy, I used electric handmixer.Then add an egg.
- Whisk it for a minute,then addvanilla essence or any essence of your choice.
- Now add flour mixture,combine and gather to form a soft dough.
- Now your basic cookie dough is ready.Cling wrap it and refrigerate.I took half of this dough for this candy cane cookies and used the other half for sugar cookies.
- Divide the dough into 2.Take one portion add red food color, I used red rose liquid food color.
- Mix well so that the color is even in the dough.Cling wrap both the dough separately and refrigerate atleast for 20mins.
- Now take the dough out pinch small pebble sized ball from each color.Now first take the plain color dough.Roll it with your fingers like this.
- Repeat the same for red color too.Place both the ropes side by side, close to each other then twist and turn.
- Twist and turn like this to get a spiral.Check out the video demonstration to get a clear idea.While you do this, preheat oven at 180 deg C for 10mins.
- Bend one side to form cane shape.Repeat the process until the entire dough is finished.Arrange it in a baking tray with butter paper.Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for 10-12 mins or until the edges start to brown.
Cool down completely then store in a clean airtight box.
- I used half of this dough for this candy cane cookies and used the other half for sugar cookies.
- Take small sized dough and make thin ropes as the cookies tend to grow while baking.
- I used red rose liquid color to get that perfect cookie color.You can even use red powdered food color.
- Do not be tempted to bake more, the cookies will become hard.Just take out when it starts to turn golden at the edges,thats the right time to take out.
- Chilling the dough is a must.I took some 4 balls from each color then refrigerated the rest of the dough.Likewise once I shaped few cookies,placed them in a tray and refrigerated it.