I don’t even remember ordering full meals at hotels, whenever we dine for lunch my order will be either sambar sadam / roti , nan with a gravy…..but never miss to taste vatha kuzhambu from hubbys plate 🙂 Even at home when there is any padaiyal I run miles away seeing the full meals spread….kind of weird but yes I don’t feel like eating seeing such a wide south indian spread….I limit myself with rice,sambar and a poriyal.It is only at weddings / other functions I eat full meals as there is no other option, even there I end up eating chapathi or any tiffin item asking for second serving and skip the usual sambar, rasam meals. I always look upon hubby who loves full meals 🙂
Now with no further delays let get on to to learn vathal kuzhambu recipe.
Lunch Ready with Rice, Vathal Kuzhambu,Keerai Kootu and Vathal
Vathal Kuzhambu Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Sundakkai Vathal (Dried Turkey Berry)- 1/4 cup
Tamarind – 1/2 lemon sized
Small Onion – 15
Garlic pearls – 5 halved
Sambar powder – 3 tsp
Water – 1 cup
Powdered Jaggery – 1 tsp(optional)
Salt – to taste
Gingelly Oil – 3 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Chana Dal – 3/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Red Chillies – 2
Curry Leaves – a small sprig
- Soak tamarind in hot water and extract the thin tamarind water.Peel the skin of garlic and small onions and make it ready.In a tadka pan – fry the sundakkai vathal till dark browned.
- In a kadai / pan heat oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’, then add onion and garlic, fry for 2mins.Then add sambar powder.
- Fry for a minute.Then add tamarind water and let it boil for few mins.Let it boil for few mins till oil separates and it becomes slightly thick.
- Then add sundakkai vathal and let it boil for a good 5mins in low flame.Then finally add jaggery stir well and switch off.
Serve with hot rice.
- Add a cup of water to tamarind and make a thin extract.
- I recommend adding gingelly oil(nallennai) , if you don’t have then go ahead with your usual cooking oil.
- Keeps well for 2 days even without refrigeration.
- Also you can use other vathals like manathakkali vathal, maa vathal, mithuku vathal or any vathal for making this kuzhambu.
- Add 1/2 tsp chilli powder if your sambar powder is less spicy.
- You can even add any other vegetable that you use four puli kuzhambu.
- Adding jaggery is optional but I prefer adding it for the slight tangy sweet taste which is so good for this kuzhambu.