Caramel Popcorn is a delicious, crispy snack made by tossing prepared popcorn in caramel sauce. Caramel Popcorn is a sweet twist to our regular popcorn and is one of the popular popcorn varieties. This Popcorn at home is a bliss for movie, TV time & get together. Caramel Popcorn Recipe is explained here with step by step pictures and video.
Caramel Popcorn is an all-time favourite snack for all ages that could be made at home easily. I have given here 2 versions one using regular white sugar and other using brown sugar – Choose your favourite and enjoy!
About Caramel Popcorn
Caramel Popcorn is caramel glazed popcorns that is beautifully textured, sweet, crispy and crunchy snack ideal for movie time, parties and sweet nothings. Caramel Popcorn is the beauty of colour, texture & taste served to boost the mood you are in.
Caramel Popcorn is made with & without corn syrup. Considering the fact of accessibility of corn syrup at stores and for the convenience of making it at home, I have given Caramel Popcorn recipe without corn syrup here.
Caramel Popcorn – A great snack box idea
I love caramel popcorn since my childhood days as my mother used to buy me a pack of these whenever we pass by the popcorn shop. After I started to try homemade popcorn, I never look back buying them outside as the kids are fully satisfied with it. I often make it for their snack box or for our movie time at home.
Why Caramel Popcorn and not Popcorn?
Caramel is an evolution of sugar by heating it into a molten & crystal form that tastes like confectionery. Caramel is widely used as topping or flavouring for desserts, puddings & custard. Caramel Popcorn hence will add a sweet twist to the conventional popcorn that you will not just stop with one!
Caramel Popcorn – 2 versions
- Caramel Popcorn using white sugar – This version uses regular granulated white sugar and tastes just like in theater and in stores.
- Caramel Popcorn using brown sugar – This version uses brown sugar also it is baked to make it more crispier. Check down for the recipe with stepwise pictures.
- Popcorn Kernels : Make sure to buy popcorn kernels and not the regular corn kernels from the store as all the varieties of corn kernels do not pop.
- Sugar : You can use all the types of sugar – white, brown, country, cane for this recipe. 2 portions of sugar for one portion of kernel is the right ratio for caramel popcorn!
- Butter : Use fresh, homemade butter if available else you can use the store bought ones. Adjust salt to the popcorn if you are adding salted or unsalted variety of butter.
- Oil : Use regular cooking oil for popcorn- however ensure they do not impact the flavour of the popcorn as oils like coconut oil, groundnut oil will radiate its flavour into the food it is added to.
Tried this Caramel Popcorn Recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
📖 Recipe Card
- Heat 2 tablespoon flavourless oil in a pan. Take a thick bottomed pan with lid. I used my pressure cooker.
- Swirl the pan so that oil coats on all sides.
- Once oil is heated add 1-2 popcorn kernels to check.Make sure to buy popcorn kernels and not normal corn kernels.
- It will pop up in few seconds.This is the right temperature we need.
- Now add 1/2 cup popcorn kernels. Give a quick stir.
- Cover it with a lid. The lid should have a vent else close with lid partially for the vapour to escape. Keep flame in low medium.
- It will start popping.Now lift the pan from flame and shake it for 2 seconds then place in flame.Repeat this in intervals for all the seeds to pop evenly.
- Let the kernels pop completely. Once the popping sound is stopped, you can switch off flame. Immediately open the lid once popping stops else the water droplets may drop into the popcorn making it soggy.
- Open and give a quick mix. Remove from flame. Give a quick stir – Check to see if all the seeds are completely popped.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- I cleaned the same pan and kept it on the flame. Make sure the pan is dry and clean. Now add 1/2 cup granulated white sugar.
- Do not disturb for few seconds until the edges start to brown.
- Keep stirring with a laddle.It will start to change color.
- Keep stirring and cooking in low flame.
- The color changes from light shade to dark color.
- Keep stirring until the sugar melts completely.
- It forms a thick sauce and is dark golden in color this is perfect.
- Now add 1 tablespoon butter.
- Keep stirring it becomes frothy.
- Let it melt completely.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence and a pinch of salt.
- Give a quick mix.
- Add popcorn to it.
- Mix well until evenly coated. Switch off.
- Transfer to a tray and let it cool down a bit.
- When it becomes warm break the pieces. Cool down then store.
Caramel Popcorn Step by Step
1.Heat 2 tablespoon flavourless oil in a pan. Take a thick bottomed pan with lid. I used my pressure cooker.
2.Swirl the pan so that oil coats on all sides.
3.Once oil is heated add 1-2 popcorn kernels to check.Make sure to buy popcorn kernels and not normal corn kernels.
4.It will pop up in few seconds.This is the right temperature we need.
5.Now add 1/2 cup popcorn kernels. Give a quick stir.
6.Cover it with a lid. The lid should have a vent else close with lid partially for the vapour to escape. Keep flame in low medium.
7.It will start popping. Now lift the pan from flame and shake it for 2 seconds then place in flame.Repeat this in intervals for all the seeds to pop evenly.
8.Let the kernels pop completely. Once the popping sound is stopped, you can switch off flame. Immediately open the lid once popping stops else the water droplets may drop into the popcorn making it soggy.
10.Open and give a quick mix. Remove from flame. Give a quick stir – Check to see if all the seeds are completely popped.
11.Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
12.I cleaned the same pan and kept it on the flame. Make sure the pan is dry and clean. Now add 1/2 cup granulated white sugar.
13.Do not disturb for few seconds until the edges start to brown.
14.Keep stirring with a laddle.It will start to change color.
15.Keep stirring and cooking in low flame.
16.The color changes from light shade to dark color.
17.Keep stirring until the sugar melts completely.
18.It forms a thick sauce and is dark golden in color this is perfect.
19.Now add 1 tablespoon butter.
20.Keep stirring it becomes frothy,
21.Let it melt completely.
22.Add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence and a pinch of salt.
23.Give a quick mix.
24.Add popcorn to it.
25.Mix well until evenly coated. Switch off.
26.Transfer to a tray and let it cool down a bit.
27.When it becomes warm break the pieces. Cool down then store.
Caramel Popcorn using brown sugar
Caramel Popcorn – This method uses brown sugar and is baked to make it more crispier and stay so for a long time.
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch salt
Step by Step
28. Heat 2 tablespoon butter let it melt then add 1/2 cup brown sugar.
29.Give a quick mix.
30.Add 2 tablespoon water.
31.Mix well until it starts to bubble.
32.Now add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence, a pinch salt and 1/8 teaspoon baking soda.
33.Give a quick mix. It will become frothy like this.
34.Add prepared popcorn.
35.Mix well until evenly coated – Switch off.
36.Spread it over a baking tray with parchment paper.
37.Bake in preheated oven at 120 deg C for 20-25 mins or until crisp.
- Cook covered as the kernels will pop outside the container otherwise
- While cooking covered take care not to burn, use a heavy bottomed pan or non-stick pan.
- Make sure not to burn the sauce, when it turns to golden brown switch and immediately add it else it will harden then you can’t mix it.
- You can add 1/8 teaspoon baking soda for the first version using white sugar too. And bake in 120 deg C for 10 mins to make it more crispier.
- Store in a clean dry airtight container. It may turn slightly sticky especially the one with white sugar after 2 days but it is normal, you can store in fridge if you want to avoid stickiness.
Try the following variations of Caramel Popcorn
- Flavour with strawberry, chocolate, butterscotch, blueberry or any flavour of your choice instead of vanilla.
- Toss the Caramel Popcorn with seasonings like cheese powder, oregano, spice powders based on your preferences to have a tangy taste.
Serving & Storing Suggestions
Caramel Popcorn keeps good forabout a week. Pop the corn fresh every time you need it so as to consume fresh and flavourful.
Caramel Popcorn is ideal to be served in DIY tubs, big containers so that everyone pounce on it centrally.
1.What is Caramel Popcorn?
Caramel Popcorn are sugar syrup glazed popcorns that is beautifully textured, sweet & nutty snack ideal for movie time, parties and sweet nothings.How do you make Caramel Popcorn?
2.Can I use the regular corn to make Caramel Popcorn?
No only popcorns pop – sweet corn or other varieties of corn does not pop. Popcorn are special variety of corn allowed to mature so that they develop hard skin enclosing moisture which pops out when roasted / heated.
3.Can I use any type of sugar for making Caramel Popcorn?
Yes – you can use all varieties of sugar – white, brown, cane, country sugar. Just the time varies for each type to get caramelized.
4.Can we store the leftover Caramel Popcorn?
Yes, very much. It keeps good for about a week in a closed air tight container.