Any steamed food is healthy and safe to eat especially for kids.Usually when we are travelling/holidaying either idli or idiyappam is our staple breakfast order for mittu as she eats it without any complaints.
Coconut Sevai Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Cooked Plain Sevai (Idiyappam) – 1 cup
Coconut – 1/3 cup grated
Cashews – 2 tsp broken
Ghee – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal / Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies – 1 slitted
Curry leaves – a small sprig
Hing – a tiny pinch
- In a pan heat ghee and fry the cahsews till golden brown, Set aside.Heat oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter, fry till dal turns golden brown.Then add coconut and saute for few mins till the moisture reduces.Add required salt
- Then add cooked sevai and give a quick toss.Garnish with ghee fried cashews and give and quick stir and switch off.
Serve hot or warm!
- Always while preparing dough for idiyappam make sure its not too tight or too loose to get the perfect soft idiyappam.Also cool down then seperate to get it easily separated.
- While pressing don’t layer too much that helps in even cooking.
- I usually use idiyappam press which has small holes but for sevai varieties I use the bigger hole just for a variation.