Soya chunks is my favourite and have been trying quite a few recipes with it. This curry amma makes with butter beans and now I've adapted it to soya chunks, its filling and yummy that the taste is still lingering :)
- Pressure cook soya chunks until soft - I left it for 2 whistles. Drain water and wash it in cold water twice or thrice.
- Dry roast coconut,tomato and fennel seeds. Saute until tomato turns mushy and raw smell leaves. Grind it to a semi dry mixture, do not add much water.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cinnamon,cloves let it splutter. Then add ginger garlic paste and onions saute till onions turn slightly browned. Now add garam masala powder, chilli powder,required salt and mix well.
- Now add the ground mixture and saute until nicely roasted and is browned. Now add pressure cooked soya chunks and mix well and fry for 3-4mins until the masalas are well blended with the chunks. Finally add peas give a quick stir and switch off.
- You can use the same recipe for butter beans / soya beans. Also can add any other favourite veggieof your choice for this curry.
- You can also add curry leaves while tempering.
- Instead of adding fennel seeds while grinding, you can also use it while tempering which gives a nice flavour too.
- You can also make this gravy kind by adding one more tomato and grinding the items with water.
Soya chunks can be added in vegetable biriyanis which gives a vegetarian meat biriyani. I have just got the small variety and have been getting it often as this cooks faster and gets blanded with gravies very well than the big ones.