Chana Sundal Recipe – Ingredients
Preparation Time : 5 mins + overnight chana soaking time | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Recipe Category: Snack| Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Channa – 1 cup
Coconut – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
Red Chillies – 2
Curry leaves – few
- Soak channa overnight atleast for 8 hours. Pressure cook until soft for atleast 5 to 6 whistles and set aside.Heat oil in a pan – add the ingredients under ‘to temper’ and allow it to crackle. Then add the cooked channa and mix well with the tempered items.
- Add required salt then coconut , give it a quick stir and switch off.
When I saw these thonais(the cup holding the sundal) at Nilgiris the first thing that striked me was to make channa sundal and click with it. Sometimes yes the props hold more attention than the main dish to me 🙂 I am sure most food bloggers will agree with me.
- You can even boil the channa instead of pressure cooking, but I prefer the pressure cooking way.
- While pressure cooking channa adding salt takes time to cook so I always add it while tempering.
- You can use the same method for cooking green gram,mocha kottai or even channa dhal which makes a variety for navaratri sundal recipes.