I am sure you will fall for this biryani with its unique flavour and taste. What are you waiting for? Get ready with the ingredients 🙂
Small Potato Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Lunch | Recipe Cuisine: South indian
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Onion – 2 medium sized chopped lengthwise
Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tsp
Tomato puree – from 2 big tomatoes
Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Water – 1.5 cups
Salt – to taste
Oil – to toast/deep frytaste
To grind :
Coriander seeds -1 tsp
Red Chillies – 2
Coriander leaves – 3/4 cup loosely packed
Coconut – 3 tbsp
Green Chillies – 2
For the marinade:
Small Potatoes – 12 (I halved it) or Normal Potatoes – 3/4 cup chopped
Thick Curd – 3 tbsp
Rice flour – 1.5 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil + Ghee – 2 tbsp
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 1
Bayleaf – 1/2
- Dry roast red chillies and coriander seeds till golden brown , then grind it along with other ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ to a fine paste with little water.Set aside.Soak basmati rice for 15-20mins.
- Chop the potatoes into half(mine was little big do halved it), prick holes with a toothpick and add it along with the ingredients listed under ‘for the marinade’ and marinate for 15mins. Then deep fry / toast them till golden brown, set aside. Fry 1 onion chopped lengthwise to golden brown.Set aside.
- Heat oil + ghee in a pressure cooker – add the items under ‘to temper’ then add onion, ginger garlic paste and fry till slightly browned then add tomato puree and cook till raw smell leaves.
- Then add the coriander paste along with garam masala powder, saute for few mins till raw smell leaves then add roasted/fried potatoes and give a quick stir.Add required salt.
- Add the presoaked rice, then water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.Once pressure releases fluff it up with a fork.
While serving garnish with fried onions and serve it onion raita / cucumber raita.
- Make sure to prick holes so that the masala marinade gets inside the baby potatoes but be careful prick gently.
- My small potatoes were like mini atom bombs 😉 so I halved them. If you have smaller ones just use them as such
- This is little spicy so adjust green chillies and red chillies according to your spice level.
- You can use normal potatoes chopped into cubes too.