Last Updated on December 7, 2020
I tried making sambar yesterday and loved it to the core…it has a different flavour and I felt it was more like the sambar served in marriages, Now I am happy that I have 2 versions of sambar powder recipe as record 🙂 I used the glass canister(storage container) for clicking these pics, which my sis gave 🙂
Sambar Powder Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Lunch | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian| Recipe Reference : Ensamayalarai
Dry red chilllies – 1/4 kg
Coriander seeds – 100gm
Channa dal 50 gms
Toor Dal – 50gms
Urad dal- 50gms
Pepper Corns – 50 gms
Fenugreek seeds – 25 gms
Turmeric Sticks(Virali Manjal) – 50 gms
Note* – I halved the recipe and tried
- Measure all your ingredients(I halved the orginal recipe).Dry roast red chillies till the chillies turn crisp,Set aside..Dry roast coriander seeds till golden brown,Set aside to cool down.
- Then dry roast toor dal, urad dal, chana dal each seperately till golden brown and set aside.
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds for 2mins,Set aside.Dry roast pepper corns till nice aroma rises and till the spluttering stops.Dry roast turmeric sticks for a minute.
- Collect all the ingredients and let it cool down.Using a hand mortar and pestle coarse grind the turmeric sticks.
- Now add all the roasted ingredients along with the turmeric mixture and grind to a fine powder.Spread in a plate and set aside to cool down.
Store in an airtight container.
- If you are adding turmeric powder add it as such for grinding no need to roast.
- Roasting turmeric sticks helps in breaking easily so I roasted it, that step is purely optional.
- I prefer adding turmeric sticks as it gives such a nice aroma, am sure that will be missing if we use turmeric powder.
- Keeps well even for a year, may be after 4-5 months you can refrigerate it.
- This sambar powder gives a yellow hue color because of the turmeric sticks.
- Make sure you cool down completely before you grind it.Also after grinding let it cool down before you store.
- You can even sundry the ingredients till crisp and then give for grinding.
- I used my dry mixer for grinding at home.If you are making in bulk then you can choose to give it in mill for grinding.