Mango Kulfi recipe a frozen creamy milk based dessert. I had no plans of posting any kulfi / mango kulfi recipes this summer but last week my aunt sent a mango kulfi pic through watsapp which was very tempting that I made up my mind to try mango kulfi and started to google for recipes atonce.I found many recipes but I ended up using my kulfi base recipe and modified it for this mango kulfi. It turned out so good that we all loved it to the core.I have seen kulfi walas shouting kulfi ice kulfi ice and as a kid I didn’t bother about the hygiene factor and have enjoyed kulfi so many times. But now I hesitate to buy kulfi from roadside shop vendors for mittu so she is enjoying homemade kulfi 🙂
I always have nightmares whenever I have popsicle moulds freezing and Everytime I remove them out from the mould, I feel like bringing the sky down yes I was so happy seeing the clean demoulded mango kulfis.
Mango Kulfi Recipe
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Milk – 2 and 1/2 cups
Sugar – 1/4 cup heaped
Cornflour – 1/2 tsp*(optional)
Mango Pulp – 1 cup *
Badam – 25 nos
Pista – 10 nos
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Saffron – 3 strands
Pista(crushed coarsely) – 2 tsp for garnish
Condensed Milk – 1/3 cup
* If you are adding cornflour then mix it with milk to a form a paste then add it.
* I used alphonsa mangoes, choose ripe, less fiber mango
- Soak the nuts for an hr,Then blend it along with a tsp of milk to a fine / coarse paste.
- Add milk and sugar in a thick bottomed pan and let it simmer for 10 mins until it is reduced.Then add condensed milk,saffron milk(add saffron to a tsp of warm milk and set aside) and simmer.
- Then add nuts paste,cardamom powder and simmer until it becomes creamy.
- It should be coat the laddle not too thick.Switch off and let it cool completely.Once cooled completely, add mango pulp and whisk it well so that there are no lumps.
- Pour it in kulfi moulds / popsicle moulds…I used only the moulds that suited kulfi ice shape incase if you wonder why I have poured in only few moulds :), Cover it with silver foil then insert icecream sticks and freeze it for atleast 6 hrs.Then show the mould in running tap water then gently pull the sticks to remove the kulfis.
Garnish with pistachios and Serve immediately.
- Cornflour mixed with milk can be added to thicken milk faster. But I dont prefer adding it as it gives a slightly pasty texture while eating so I skipped it and reduced the milk to thick and creamy.
- You can grind the nuts coarsely, I made it fine just for mittus sake else she will start picking up the nuts to discard them.
- I recommend using full fat cream milk , don’t use lowfat milk.
- I used homemade condensed milk and it worked best.You can even skip it and add cornflour instead to make it more creamy.
- Mango quantity is purely your choice.If you want to have more of mango flavour then add more.
- Dont have a popsicle mould?! dont worry use disposable plastic cups or even thick paper cups cling wrap aluminium foil and us icecream sticks and freeze it.It demoulds easily or you can even cut the cups,tear it to get the popsicles out.
- Choose ripe mangoes or any juicy mango type, alphonsa suits best.
- Adjust sugar quantity according to the sweetness of your mango variety.
- If you are serving only 2-3 popsicles and want the rest to be stored then again close it with aluminum foil and freeze it.
- If you are using cows milk simmer for atleast 15mins to thicken milk.
- For easy demoulding – show the popsicle moulds in running tap water, then pull the stick out slowly to get the ice pops clean.