Last Updated on December 10, 2020
Lemon Aval Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Aval(Poha) – 1 cup (I used thick poha variety )
Lemon juice – from 1 small lemon
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Channa Dal – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Hing – a generous pinch
Green chillies – 1 chopped finely
Curry leaves – few
- Squeeze juice from a small lemon, set aside.Add water to poha just till immersing level,leave it soaked for 3-5mins(if its thick variety).Add required salt.
- Meanwhile soak channa dal for 10mins. Heat oil in a pan – add the items under ‘to temper’ and saute till golden brown and the dals turn crisp.
- Then add soaked poha, give a stir until the seasoning is mixed evenly.Check for salt and adjust accordingly. Switch off and add the lemon juice.
- While tempering you can add peanuts too.
- Make sure you switch off and then add lemon juice else there are chances for the upma to become bitter.
- Instead of green chillies, you can add red chillies too.
- If you are using the thin variety of poha soak just for 2mins else it will become mushy.
- This upma is ideal for snack time esp for kids.