Karumbu Chaaru Pongal – this was very new to me until I saw this in the cookbook I had.Last year I made this pongal with leftover karumbu after pongal festival so couldn’t post it so it is from my drafts 🙂 yes it was sitting idle for a year and finally posting it this year.This pongal has a very nice flavour of karumbu(sugarcane) and was most liked by everyone at home.Do try this Karumbu Chaaru Pongal for this year’s Pongal festival.
Sugarcane Juice Pongal Recipe Recipe
Recipe Category: Juice | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Raw Rice – 1/4 cup
Yellow split moong dal – 1/8 cup
Sugarcane Juice – 1 and 1/2 cups
Sugar Candy – 1/8 cup
Cashews – 8
Ghee – 2 tbsp melted
- Peel off the hard sugarcane outer skin, then chop into small cubes.Transfer to a mixer.I did this in batches as I used my small mixer jar.
- Add little water and grind it.Now drain the sugarcane extract in a strainer.
- Squeeze it with your hands or press using a spoon.Keep a bowl underneath to hold the juice.Repeat this again if you feel the extract is juicy then grind again and discard.Then proceed grinding with next batch.
- Measure and rice,dal.In a pressure pan roast dal till slightly golden,Set aside.Rinse rice and add it to cookr along with sugarcane juice.
- Pressure cook for 4 whistles in low medium flame.Once rice is cooked, add sugar candy.
- Stir it well, the sugar candy will melt and it will turn goey.Mash the rice with a laddle.Add cardamom powder.
- Mix well, finally heat 2 tbsp ghee,add cashews fry till golden add it to the pongal,stir well and cook for 2mins.
Serve hot or warm.
- You can even add edible camphor for extra flavour.
- Adding sugar is optional but I wanted my pongal to be more sweet so added it.
- The number of whistles depends on your cooker size and the variety of raw rice so adjust according