I jumped out of the bed, whipped up the batter and made these bajjis and hubby was happy eating the hot bajjis with his favourite coconut chutney. But I had to stop my temptation till I clicked the pics then happily started munching them 🙂
Aloo Bajji Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Besan flour – 3/4 cup
Rice flour – 1/4 cup
Potato -2 medium sized
Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds powdered – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Orange food color – a pinch(optional)
Oil – to deep fry
Salt – to taste
- Rinse and wash potatoes, pat them dry. Peel off the skin, then slice them using a slicer – Dont make the slices very thick else it will not get cooked inside – Set aside. In a mixing bowl add all the ingredients except potato and oil.
- Add water and make it to thick paste first without any lumps. Then add water little by little to form a thick batter(like the dosa batter but not too runny). Heat oil – Dip each potato slice in the batter, turn to coat well on both the sides.
- Carefully transfer it to the preheated oil. Turn over to cook well on both sides till golden brown. Drain in tissue paper.
Serve the bajjis hot with coconut chutney – yum combo!
- Make sure the batter is not too runny else the batter will not coat well on the veggie.
- Adding baking soda gives fluffiness and soft texture to the bajjis but you can very well skip it too.