Last week during a chat session, my cousin sis gave me the idea of posting homemade butter and aval urundai for gokulashtami. Though I had planned for a stepwise homemade butter post, it didnt strike me for the occassion so a big thanks to her for motivating me for this post. Butter and aval are lord krishnas favourite so here I am with this post. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making, clicking and writing this post 🙂
Aval Urundai – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Aval / Poha – 1 cup
Thick Jaggery syrup – 1/4 cup
Elachi powdered – 1/2 tsp
Coconut grated – 3 tbsp
Ghee – 3 tsp
Cashews – 1 tsp broken
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked) It should be of idli batter consistency.Strain and keep aside.
- The syrup should more like honey consistency.Heat a tsp ghee in a pan, add the cashews till golden brown. Set aside. Now add the coconut and roast it for 2mins without letting the color change.
- Rinse poha and soak it in water for 3-5 minutes. Drain water and squeeze the aval to drain the extra water.Mash it well.Then in a mixing bowl add poha along with jaggery, roasted coconut, ghee fried cashews, elachi powder,remaining ghee and mix well.
- Grease your hands with ghee and Make lemon sized balls, your yummy aval urundai is ready to be served.
Your aval urundais are ready!
Can you see my kutty krishnar walking towards his favourites aval and butter in the above pic? 🙂 Blogging has made krishnar come into our homes well in advance 🙂
- Choose clean jaggery as we are adding it powdered we cant filter the impurities.
- You can even add jaggery syrup if you prefer.