Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Chocolate Crinkles are soft, fudge-like cookies with a generous coating of icing sugar.The name “Crinkle” refers to how the powdered sugar shows cracks(crinkles) as the cookies bake, showing a bit of chocolate here and there giving it a cracked look…Dont they look cute?! I loved the cookie too…to me it was in-between a cookie and a brownie…I cudnt wait to share so here I am with the recipe.
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian | Recipe Reference: JoyofBaking
Maida(All purpose Flour) – 3/4 cup(97 gms)
Cooking Chocolate* – 115 gms(semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped)
Icing Sugar – 1/2 cup
Granulated white sugar – 1/4 cup(50 gms)
Unsalted butter – 2 tbsp
Egg – 1
Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
Baking powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1/8 tsp
- Chop cooking chocolate coarsely and transfer it to a heat proof bowl placed over a sauce pan of simmering water.Add butter(I forgot to click it after adding butter but you dont forget to add it okay?! ;)) to it and melt it until creamy and saucy as shown below.Cool down to room temperature.
- Beat egg and sugar until thick,pale and fluffy.Add vanilla essence and beat it once.When you slowly raise the beater, the batter will fall back into the bowl in slow ribbons…that is the correct consistency).Add it to melted chocolate butter mixture and whisk it well until even mixing.Set aside.
- In a seperate mixing bowl whisk together maida,baking powder and salt.Now add this mixture to the chocolate mixture and mix well.It will be sticky at this stage.
- Cover with a silver foil / plastic wrap and chill it for atleast 3 hrs or overnight is best.It should be firm when you touch and see.Preheat oven to 165 deg C for 10mins.Now the dough is ready to use.
- Meanwhile use a tbsp to scoop out the dough then shape it into balls and roll each ball into icing sugar.
- Make sure it is completely coated so that no chocolate dough is shown outside.Do this for the entire dough.Lay a parchment paper in the baking tray and line the cookies about 1.5 inches apart.Bake them at 165 deg C for 8-10mins. Mine got done in exactly 10mins….The edges will be slightly firm but the center will be slightly soft that is correct texture for chewy cookies.Do not overbake till crispy.Remove from oven and cool down in wirerack.
Serve it warm oir at room temperature.Store in airtight container and enjoy!
- It is best to refrigerate it overnight so that it is firm to roll and shape them into balls. I couldnt wait so refrigerated only for 3 hrs.
- While melting cooking chocolate, make sure to check and refill the saucepan with water incase if it gets emptied in between.
- I used half and half of semi sweet and dark chocolate so the sweetness was just perfect for me.
- I forgot to make the batter and refrigerate it overnight so I chilled the cookie dough only for 3 hrs, you see I go impatient when the recipe calls for chilling/waiting time….as I cudnt wait to see the beautiful crinkle cookies 🙂
- Choose good quality cooking chocolate for best results , I used Morde brand.
- Dont be tempted to overbake seeing the soft cookies after 10mins, they will become firm after cooling down.Overbaking the cookies makes them dry.
- The cookies are best when had warm.
- When you roll the cookie dough balls in icing sugar, make sure to roll them evenly so that the chocolate dough doesnt show up outside.
- The chocolate should be melted with some butter, and once melted allow the mixture to cool down to room temperature before adding to the batter.
- If you like coffee flavour add a tsp of instant coffee powder to the flour mixture.
- These cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or 2 but I bet they will not last long mine got over the same day I baked them 🙂