My friend Sathya used to bring Chilli Idli her dad makes, I can say its a indianised version of chilli idli, I will sure share that recipe soon.
Chilli Idli Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Side dish / Starter | Recipe Cuisine: Indo Chinese
Idli – 3
Red chilli powder – 3/4 tsp
Capsicum – 1/2 cut into squares
Garlic – 1 tsp chopped finely
Ginger – 1/2 tsp chopped finely
Green Chilli – 2 small sliced
Big Onion – 3 tbsp finely chopped
Sugar – 1/2 tsp(optional)
Soya sauce – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Sauce – 1/4 tsp
Tomato sauce – 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – to deep fry
- Cut the idlis into small cubes.If you are making your batch of idlis fresh then refrigerate it atleast for 30mins.I used leftover idli so cut it instantly.Refrigerate the idli cubes for 10-15mins.Heat oil in a kadai just enough for the idlis to immerse fully.When oil is hot, deep fry the idlis.
- Turn over and fry till golden brown.
- Drain in tissue paper and set aside.Get all the ingredients ready .Heat oil in a pan and add garlic,ginger and green chillies.Saute for a minute.
- Add onion saute until slightly browned.Then add capsicum, saute for 2mins. Let the onions and capsicum retain its crispiness and do not let them turn brown.Now add red chilli powder.
- Saute for a minute.Then add the sauces.Bring the sauce to a quick boil.
- Bring the sauce to a quick boil. Add fried idlis and give a toss for the sauce to coat well.Switch off.
Garnish with spring onions.
- I didn’t have spring onions so skipped it.You can add spring onions white part while adding garlic and the green part for the ginal garnish.
- Refrigerating idlis helps in giving firm idli cubes with no crumbles while deep frying.
- While deep frying if the idlis stick, then refrigerate for few more mins and then start deep frying.
- The idlis should be crisp while eating so just toss the idlis and switch off.
- Always serve hot as it may turn soggy when rested for a while.
- Dont add more soya sauce than the mentioned amount else it will change the taste and color.