Trust me this is a very easy sweet that you can try for diwali, no messing up or no consistency checks, I have given even the trouble shooting tips in my notes section 😉 incase you come across any doubts while making this peda.
Doodh Peda Recipe
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Condensed Milk – 1/2 tin (200 gms)
Milk powder – 1 cup
Melted Ghee – 2 tsp + to grease
Saffron – 4 strands cut into small pieces
Pistachios – 8 chopped finely
- Soak saffron in warm milk and set aside.Chop the pistachios finely, keep aside.In a non stick pan add condensed milk,milk powder and saffron milk.Whisk it well so that there are no lumps, this should be done even before switching on the flame.
- Not switch on the flame and keep cooking. I used my whisk for a while to avoid lumps.Keep cooking until it starts to leave the sides of the pan.Once it starts leaving the sides of the pan, add ghee and give a quick mix.
- Keep cooking until you see a thick mass slightly sticky, try to take a small portion roll it and check, you should be able to form a ball.This is the correct stage.Switch off and let it cool down for 10mins.When it is still warm, pinch small lemon sized portion and make a ball, slightly flatten it.
- Make a small dent in the center, add chopped pistachios and arrange in a clean plate.Repeat the same until the entire mixture finishes.Leave it to set atleast for an hour.You can even refrigerate it for a while.It will look moist for a while then will become dry after an hour or so.The pedas will be chewy while shaping them but after an hour you will get the perfect texture as shown in the 3rd picture.
Cool down and store in airtight container.
- My milk powder was smooth so I didn’t grind it.If your milk powder is little coarse then grind it once to get a smooth powder.
- Don’t panic if the mixture doesnt hold together to form a ball, just cook further for a while again and then try.Once the mixture is switched off it will look a bit runny, leave it to rest by the time it hardens and makes it easy to shape.
- If the mixture is dry and if it cracks when you shape them, add little milk mix well to get a smooth texture but if you add milk shelf life will be less.
- It will look shiny and sticky while making balls, so grease your hands well while shaping them.
- It takes atleast an hour to get set to get the perfect texture. If you taste it once you shape them the taste will be good but the texture will be chewy so always let it rest for an hour before serving.
- If you refrigerate it, bring to room temperature while serving else the pedas will be hard.
- Always cook in low flame to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Keeps well for about a week even without refrigeration.