Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Palkova can be made in 10mins taking the short route of using microwave oven, but I don’t have chances for that as I don’t own a microwave, also I always want to try recipes the traditional way atleast for the first time….will take shortcuts after that 😉 So here is my traditional stove top method for making palkova.I agree it is sure time consuming and painstaking but worth the effort, you will agree with me only when you taste it.I have seen and heard from friends that palkova is Gokulashtami special so thought its the right time to post this palkova recipe which is lying in my drafts since a yr.
Palkova Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Milk – 1 litre (4 cups)
Sugar – 1/3 cup
- Boil milk in wide thick bottomed pan, I used my nonstick pan.Let it boil till it reduces to half.Stir every now and then to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Let it boil, keep the flame in low or low medium but take care to stir often.This is after almost 20minutes.
- Now it starts to thicken,the malai starts to form thick, stir it well.Scrap the sides and mix well.Keep boiling.
- By this time most of the water vaporises from the milk making ti even more thicker.You can see solids forming here and there then few mins later you can see thick solid.See the consistency.
- See the bottom it is clean, stirring often will not let Palkova burn / stick to the bottom.Now reduce the flame to lowest as at this stage there is more chances of burning.When its slightly goey with very little moisture add sugar at this stage.Now sugar will melt making it goey keep the flame in low and keep cooking.
- Keep stirring until it forms a thick mass with no liquid content.This is almost after 1 hr.It will leave the sides of the pan now.Like this…Now cool down and store in a clean container and refrigerate it.
You can see after a day the Palkova becomes thick and creamy.
- Use a nonstick pan so that it doesn’t stick much.
- Also stirring often is the main tip.
- 1/4 cup of sugar would be just enough too but I added little more to make it on the sweeter side.
- I used my induction stove to avoid milk from overflowing. You can either use stove or induction stove.
- I clicked the pictures soon after I switched off.But palkova thickens with time.
- You can add 1/4 tsp cardamom powder or chopped nuts of your choice.But I chose to keep it simple with just the palkova flavour at its best.
- Also while milk boils and thickens, use the same spatula make sure it is clean.
- It keeps well for a week refrigerated.
- Cooking time may vary depending on the size of pan and also the water content in milk.
- Use a little wider spatula so that it covers most of the bottom area to avoid missing some bottom surface.When you miss stirring some area then it will burn and stick to the bottom.
- Make sure you cool down completely before you refrigerate it.